Macbook Pro 13" not booting, stops at grey screen, help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by phixiuz, Jun 1, 2010.

1. phixiuz macrumors regular

Since a few days ago my Macbook Pro 13" from last June started to freeze randomly for atleast 30 seconds and then it would come back and most of the time freeze again after a while (in OSX only it seems, Windows 7 I did not have such problems, though I didn't use it often). Sometimes it occured frequently, other times it didn't and this morning I had the same thing again, I just held the power button and shut it down, did this two times in a short period of time and when trying to boot it for the second time all I get is a gray screen with no Apple logo or anything.

Searched the forums, tried the install DVD and C button to no avail, same thing with trying to reset the PRAM and NVRAM...

Is the logic board broken or anything? I don't understand how this could happen...

And if I do take my laptop to Apple, should I remove the Intel SSD drive I got in it right now and put in the stock?

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

I'm thinking the problem could have something to do with the SSD, actually. Try putting the stock drive back in the machine and see what happens. If the problem persists, there could be something wrong with the logic board. If it works with the original drive in there, then you know the issue is with the SSD or Mac OS X.

3. phixiuz thread starter macrumors regular

And it seems to be the SSD indeed...

Hellhammer and ziggyonice, thanks for the fast answers :). Guess I'll have to backup the SSD drive and format it.

Edit: Seems the Intel X25M SSD is somehow broken, I can't access it through any other PC via USB or anything. Guess I'll have to contact Intel instead of Apple :).

Weird though that the laptop doesn't even want to boot from DVD when the disk drive isn't working...

4. phixiuz thread starter macrumors regular

Since my MBP won't boot from the Intel X25M SSD drive anymore (laptop doesn't respond to anything when I got the drive in it), nor recognises it through a SATA to USB adapter (nor does my Windows desktop computer), can I say with certainty that the SSD is faulty/defective? Guess I'll have to RMA it then..

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes, it's very likely busted. Contact Intel as you're still under warranty

6. phixiuz thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks again for the fast answer! Already contacted Intel and they said I needed to try get it exchanged by the shop first.