MacBook Pro 13" or 13" MacBook Air?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zackify, Mar 11, 2012.

1. zackify macrumors member

Before you comment calling me a noob and complaining about there already being 100000+ posts on this subject, please read what I write.

So I've read tons of articles and things like that on this subject. Most of people i see ask this aren't planning on doing what I do, so I made this new post. I have never owned a Mac before but I'm very good with them since I use them at school a lot. I am looking to pick up either the 13" pro or air. I will be using them for surfing and all the usual stuff but also for coding / video editing. I use Coda, photoshop, iMovie, and plan on buying FCPX in the future. I might get a dev account and make iPhone apps too. I also like testing OS'es and will probably use VMware or parallels but not that often. The thing is, I REALLY like the portability of the MBA. So which one is for me? Could the MBA handle all of these tasks? I would more likely get the MacBook pro if it had descrete graphics like the 15" but I feel that it wouldn't be much more powerful than the air. So let me know what you think!

2. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

Go pro, your going to benefit more from having the pro. The form factor of the air is nice but you need memory and will fill up the SSD on the air very fast, also the RAM on the Air is non upgradeable which is something you may need to upgrade based on your needs. Def. go pro.

3. zackify thread starter macrumors member

I'll be going to college next year. Should I get the MBP now and maybe an iMac then? Or air... So many choices!

4. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

You will be just fine with only a pro, I have all three and rarely use anything other than my pro as its just a great machine all round. Its small and powerful with impressive battery life.

5. zackify thread starter macrumors member

I think youre right. I can get 8gb ram, magic mouse, keyboard, MBP for only 1,315 on amazon. This would cost much more for an air with only 4gb and the keyboard / mouse. I can also get FCP and and SSD in the future.

6. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

Thats correct, with the air the ram cannot be upgraded as it is soldered and therefore not upgradable. Plus even an average use would probably need an external hard drive, which adds to the cost and is another thing that you have to carry around with you. The air is a fine machine but just isn't for everyone, and it seems like it isn't the right computer for you.