MacBook Pro 13" or 15" for app/game development?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Apple Noob, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Apple Noob macrumors newbie

I am looking to get into both app and game development for iOS and Android but was wondering which would be a better choice. Would I really need all the extra power the 15" has to offer. Also how about a Macbook Air.

2. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

The 13" would be ok I guess. The screen size and resolution may bother you though after working for a few hours. The MBA would actually be a lot better than the 13" model because of the resolution. It will get the job done.

The 15" may be overkill, but the screen size will prove a lot more comfortable when programming.

If you got the money, grab the 15". Best computer for your needs? The 13" MBA.

3. taedouni macrumors 65816

If you're going into the app development or any field that would consider you a power user, then I would recommend you to get a 15" Macbook Pro. The 13" if I am not mistaken doesn't even off the quad core flavor of Ivy.

4. iVikD macrumors regular

iVikD

Agreed with both posters, I own the 15" and it's great for programming (I'm a systems engineer). I got the hi-res screen and the extra workspace is a blessing. Once you get more into your thing, I would even recommend getting a second monitor and using both your MBP's screen and the monitor to have several tools, websites, emulators or virtual machines running.

5. bogatyr macrumors 65816

They will both work, however I wouldn't choose either. The 13" MBP's resolution is low, making coding a cramped endeavor. If you want low price, I would go with 13" MBA with 8GB of RAM - better resolution, SSD and low cost. Though if you're looking at 13", the rMBP refurb is the best deal - higher resolution capabilities, baseline 8GB of RAM, dual thunderbolt.

If you want 15", the classic will do just fine but I recommend the anti-glare high res option as mentioned above.