Macbook Pro 13 or 15 inch?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SweetThuy, Dec 12, 2014.

1. SweetThuy macrumors newbie

Hi I need help deciding whether I should buy the 15 inch or the 13 inch. I currently have a 2012 11 inch macbook air and I want to upgrade to a bigger screen. I was going to buy the 15 inch base but looking at the prices I can get the 13 inch for it makes it difficult to choose. 15 inch is 1699 while I can get the 13 inch in the 900s. I'm a college student. I don't edit or do any demanding tasks at least not yet.

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

13 is best for you - at least from my interpretation of your situation.

3. midorix macrumors member

Get the 13". I think it's big enough and definitely more convenient if you're going to take it around to your classes. Later, if you need the screen size, you can always get large external screen for relatively reasonable price. Save your money since you're college student. If you can get 13" macbook pro for approx $900, that's a pretty good deal.....but I hope it's not the 4GB ram version.

As another point of reference, I have 24" iMac that I used all the time and recently purchased 13" macbook pro. I don't miss the 24" iMac unless I have to work on multiple spreadsheets simultaneously (= not very often).

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think 13" is probably the best fit for your needs.

Reasons to choose the 15" over the 13". You need more screen real estate for you apps, such as Photoshop. You need a quad core processor, because you run demanding apps like VMware fusion or do a lot of multi tasking. You need the better GPU because of games or apps. You mention none of these so I'd say the 13" is a good fit.

5. crawler1975 macrumors regular

crawler1975

screen real estate is only the difference to me between the 13 and 15. I can still do the tasks you mentioned without any problems with the 13 rMBP. I've got photoshop and lightroom (I do run them concurrently all the time), vmware fusion(usually run 3 vms simultaneously) and blizzard games (diablo 3, wow, starcraft) - so far all are running smoothly on my end. So I think the 13" is also very capable even if it's not quad core. Just my personal experience (loving my 13 :) ).

So to the OP, get the 13".

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've run PS and LR on a 13" MBP before and found them too constraining. I also use gotomypc to remote into my work computer and that is horrible due to the tiny text. For me, the 15" is better and I think PS/LR works better on a larger display.

7. crawler1975 macrumors regular

crawler1975

agree with you on the screen size, but in my case I went for portability. I can always use my external monitor when I am home when I do ps and lr edits. have not use gotomypc but I am using MS remote desktop for Mac - which gets the job done when i need to remote to my office.

8. CheesePuff macrumors 6502

Remember you can scale the resolution on the rMBP 13" to be 1440x900 or 1680x1050 if you wish as well.

9. kdotv23 macrumors member

I was in your position a couple weeks ago. I decided to go with a 15' and have no regrets. Definitely not as portable as a 13' but its light enough to carry everyday and has not given me any problems as far as carrying it in my bag.

Do you plan on keeping the 11' air? If so, id definitely size up to the 15 and go back to the air when you want that extra portability.

10. SweetThuy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for everyones reply. I think I'm going to go with the 15 just because of the screen and I'll be keeping it for a long time so I don't know what tasks I'll need it to run. And I do plan on keeping the 11 inch air.

11. kdotv23 macrumors member

SWEET! either way, you can't go wrong! Great choice on the 15' tho! Enjoy

12. irod87 macrumors regular

I'm currently using a 15" Retina and for me I think 13" would be ideal. I have no real use for the added screen size and more powerful processor. I would prefer the portability.

13. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

13" no doubt. It's the best for moving around.

If you need a bigger screen like for the dorm or at home, get an external display for cheap on Amazon and hook it up.

That way you have a very portable 13" laptop AND an "iMac" as well :D

14. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

if you don't edit or do any demanding tasks then why not 13 inches MacBook Air?? :apple:

15. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

I wouldnt get the air until retina comes out.

16. misterminibus macrumors newbie

misterminibus

I have had both and the 15 seems much bigger than the 13, I think if you had the 13 you would always be wishing you paid a little more and went for the 15

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Enjoy your computer, I think the 15" sets you up nicely for the present and the future. :)

18. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Retina costs more so if OP wants cheap one OP can afford the 13" MBA is a good deal. :apple: