Macbook Pro 13" or 15"?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by audiokeeffe, Sep 6, 2010.

1. audiokeeffe macrumors member

I know this question has been asked about a million times, but I have one concern.

I have used a 17" iMac for the past 5 years. I want to upgrade and get a macbook pro, but am worried about dropping down to a 13" screen. So now I'm thinking would a 15" be better in my situation? I play online games sometimes and do quite a lot of photo/video editing as a hobby.

Would dropping from a 17" to a 13" be a big difference in my case, and would it be hard to get used to?

2. iTootyFrooty macrumors member

What kind of online games we talking about? We talking Runescape or World of Warcraft?

I would say get the 15" entry model would be more convenient for you, but a 13" could probably get the job done too. The 13" would take some time getting used to, but you would enventually get used to it. If money isn't a worry, I would go for the 15".

3. AppleCode macrumors regular

AppleCode

You could always get an external monitor, unless you will be mobile gaming it that case get the 15inch

4. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

Do not worry! The 13" is enough for every kind of work, except design I would say. I love to use exposé and spaces to create my own workspace. You will get used to it and I strongly believe you will love it as much as I do.

For occasionally video and picture editing it is OK and you can run WOW at medium to high setting just fine. You even can play WOW with the touchpad completely without a mouse. I do so and it is fun. Go with the 13 and grab an external monitor if you want a bigger screen at home. For the go the 13 is just perfect. You will love the battery!

If you want to squeeze some more minutes out of your battery you can use coolbook and undervolt your C2D and maybe, just if you like to, set a Speedlimit to go even further. My C2D runs @ 1,3GHz unplugged an I still can play WOW with high settings and do all the other stuff I have to do. WOW runs up to 4h before my battery dies depending on screen brightness.

5. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

Go with the 15" MBP over the 13" because you can get a better processor and GPU on the 15". Not to mention doing photo work on a 13" screen is painful. I would as others have recommend getting an external monitor. I don't know what kind of games you play, but if you play games, always better to get the best GPU you can. The 13" has a 320M with 256MB shared memory vs the 15" with 330M with 256-512MB GDDR3 memory real graphics memory and better card is worth it if you play games.