Macbook pro 13" or 15"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mats13, Jun 26, 2011.

1. mats13, Jun 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2011

mats13 macrumors newbie

I want to know what you think about the 13 and 15 inch macbook pro. I'm going to buy my first one soon!

I'm currently in school so I don't have loads of money, but enought to buy a pro :) I will use this one for school, but also to build websites and photo-editing. In two years I will leave to study, and I thought a pro would be great for that.

I was thinking if the 13" is strong enough to run photoshop and illustrator. These are the most heavy applications i will use.

I will have a big display on my desktop, so when i'm home i can work with that so the screen size isn't the problem. The main thing is the graphic performance, is it good enough on the 13"? Because the only reason i would buy a 15" are the graphic performances of it, and the difference in price is pretty big.

What are your experiences/recommendations?
    Thank you!

2. mats13, Jun 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2011

mats13 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Bear macrumors G3

No need to bump a thread that you started on the weekend. People will be awake soon enough. Anyway, if you don't play games, the 13" can do what you want.

My only recommendation is look at both in the store and see if you can work with the 13" size and resolution. And remember the 15" has a few screen options.

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

a 13'' will work fine with that usage and it will be more portable as well.

5. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

13" is powerful enough. It is something different though to work on a 1280x800 13" screen versus a 1680x1050 15" screen.
    Still at school I guess 13" will do fine for you. 1 year into university you might want to switch anyway. Depending on what you do of course, you might feel like me and something smaller than 15" is just too tedious to work with.

In school the only reason to go 15" is the GPU and in that case it is much smarter to stay clear of MBP and get a Windows Notebook with more speed for much less money.

6. shoppy macrumors 6502a

15, purely for the screen size. I just find it easier on my eyes. Also dedicated graphics card helps a lot.

7. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

8. mats13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Mm, do you think the resolution of 1280 x 800 will be good enough for a 23" monitor? Or should I buy the 15" and work with it till i have enough money to buy a 23" monitor?

9. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I don't understand the question. If you attach a 23" monitor you run it at its resolution which probably is 1920x1080. 1280x800 is only for the internal screen.

10. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

I normally say go big or go home, but I have to disagree here. I currently have the same dilemma and virtually the same type of usage. Why spend hundreds more for a machine that you don't really need? Go to a store and pick up a 13" in one hand and a 15" in the other. To me, there is a noticible weight difference. Personally, I love the portability of the 13" and that is what I am going to go with. Is it next week yet? I want my MacBook Pro NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

11. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

While I certainly understand that weight is an issue, performance is also key. I sold my i5 15" MBP (the 2010 edition) intent on downsizing to a 13". At the end of the day, I went with the current i7 15" - too many tradeoffs in terms of the display resolution and system performance to make the 13" useable for me.

YMMV, of course ... I'm not unhappy I traded up.

12. kyle1320 macrumors regular

kyle1320

If you're going to be doing a lot of photo editing, go with the 15". Not only will the better processor and graphics help, but also the screen size will give you more room. I've heard the 13" is way too small for lots of photo editing. A lot of people will tell you to go with the 13", because usually you don't need the 15", but I honestly think it will do you good. You could also get the 13" and hook it up to an external display while photo editing if you got the 13" and found the screen to be too small for your liking.

13. mats13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okey!!! didn't realize this would work. But i have to close the macbook and wake it up with a mouse or keyboard isn't it? That's no problem, would be nicer if i had my macbook pro display and my external monitor but the monitor on it's own will work fine too.

Thank you!

I'll go for the 13" :)

14. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

I use my 13" MBP with a 23" LCD when I'm doing website design, photo editing. In fact, this machine has all but replaced my Windows desktop at home. When traveling, it's hard to beat the combination of size and performance the 13" model brings to the table.

15. mats13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okey haha, i changed today. I got advice from a mac fan who told me that it wasn't a good idea to buy a macbook pro just because i will study in 2 years (the only good reason for a book instead of a mac). He said to me that i had to ask myself: do you want to use a macbook pro for 2 years at home (use as desktop) and then use it 1/2 years to study (use as laptop). Then he said i could have a 27" iMac now, and buy a macbook pro when i leave to study. I felt in love with the 27 inch, and think it's worth the money for now (brand new :)).
    The 13" pro would be nice too, but add the monitor, the mouse and keyboard, the price difference isn't that much.

So need to work a little bit harder and save some money but i will get that brand new beautiful macbook pro over two years.

Thank you for your help!!!