Macbook pro 13" or 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Atzepeg, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Atzepeg macrumors newbie

Hello people!

I'm the owner of a hp pavilion dv7 for about 3 years now and i want to buy myself a new mac afther WWDC!
    And now i'm not sure if I would buy a 13" model or go for the more expensive 15" model...
    I use my computer mostly for browsing internet, and creating stuff with photoshop, also i do play some games like League of Legends, minecraft,...
    What do you guys think?

(first post ever)

2. Laco macrumors 6502

Wait till they are released because no one knows what features each will have. If you want to play games I would strongly suggest the 15 or 17 inch (if it exists) because they are the only ones that currently have dedicated graphics cards - very unlikely that the 13 inch will have a dedicated GPU. But you need to wait and see what is actually released.

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

yes like Laco says you have to wait before that can be properly answered and yes for games having a deticated graphics card

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I would suggest a model with a dedicated GPU (NVidia or AMD depending on which Apple chooses for the new models).

Other than that we can't really give a recommendation until the new models are announced.

5. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

I'd go with a 15". Maybe it's my old eyes, but I like the extra real estate of the larger screen.

6. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

This if you are working on Photoshop.

7. joewillmott macrumors regular

The 15" is by far better for professional Photoshop use and playing the latest games due to dedicated GPU and more screen estate, HOWEVER it sounds as if you play less-demanding games and Photoshop doesn't exactly require a massive screen.

I have been doing both of your activities on an incredibly low level 13" just fine. The 15" will be better in every way and worth the extra money overall, plus it will mean you are ready to move onto newer, more graphically intense games and would be a more professional working environment, so I highly recommend it, however the 13" will still be able to handle what you are doing absolutely fine.

8. FrankRibery macrumors newbie

9. dutchnewbie macrumors regular

I would choose a 15" i was in the same position before and eventually i thought it would be better to go for a 15".

If there will be like 2 15" models i go for the cheaper one as my budget is around $2100 (€1750)

The reason i go for a 15" is based as i had doubts a 13" can play games that i like and it's too bad to buy a 13" and realise a game you love to play don't play decently

10. CocoSS macrumors member

I will for the 15' model. It is much more convenient for playing and daily usage :)

11. idunn macrumors 6502

That you'll love best

Seriously consider a 13" MBP, but opt for a 15" if you wish a dedicated GPU and the larger screen.

In my humble opinion Apple has severely shorted a good many of its customers for years in not offering a 13" MBP as capable as its larger cousins. The rationale often proffered is that if one wants the capabilities of a pro model then they should just step up to at least the base 15". But that overlooks the many who are perfectly content with the form factor and size of a 13"—and in fact consider it THE ideal size—but would still love a dedicated GPU, etc. I'm not buying the argument that due space limitations Apple cannot somehow provide this. More like they have refused to.

For the uses you cited, particularly games, you would certainly be better off with at minimum the base 15" MBP. Unless Apple rectifies its historical treatment of the 13" model, that is, which sadly seems unlikely. Although, even as slighted, still quite a fine computer.

All the more if you plan on doing much traveling with it. That alone could make all the difference, if even the question if a MacBook Air not more appropriate.

But as already mentioned—stay tuned. Chances are in a few days you'll have a choice of new models, their specs to compare, and decision which will best suite your individual needs and desires.

12. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

A 13" MBP and external 24" high-end display is the sweet spot for me. I got an NEC display at a great discount so the total was around what a 15" MBP would have cost.

Even a 15" display is small when running apps like Photoshop... And MBP displays aren't all that great for critical color work.

I've had a 15" MBP and it was too large for extended traveling.

Depending on what you do a 13" MBP may be just fine. Wait and see what websites like Barefeats.com has to say after they test the new models. You may be pleasantly surprised and save some significant $$$.

13. NickPerk macrumors member

Honestly speaking, since your not a die hard photo guru nor a avid video gamer I'd say go with the 13' laptop. As the new Intel graphics will be a hell of a lot better than the old and should provide a good frame rate on MineCraft.

Other idea is if you want the graphics card you can order a refurbished model of the late 2011 MacBook Pro or shop around on craigslist (saw one for $1600 and it is the current top model)

That's my advice for you.

14. kdog679 macrumors member

From what we've seen so far, it looks like the new integrated card on the 2012 macbook pros will have a much better performance as well, so that might help with your gaming needs on the 13 inch.

15. NickPerk macrumors member

The 13' is not guaranteed to get a graphics card. If it hasn't happened in the past it looks like it won't in the future ;).

16. kdog679 macrumors member

Oh, I meant that intel 4000 cards were showing a pretty decent increase in performance vs the current 3000. Sorry for not clarifying.

17. NickPerk macrumors member

Yeah amen to that.

Figured I'd point it out in a nice way rather than someone coming along and doing a -1 and then ripping on you. ;)

18. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

The 13" isn't even guaranteed to exist. We've had no substantive leaks indicating a refresh of the 13 or 17 inch, only the 15 and the Airs.

19. Fouracre44 macrumors regular

Relevant or not to your decision, assuming that the format of the new laptops stick the current. i will be purchasing the lower range 15" and upgrade the ram to 8gb.

I am going to be using this computer all through uni and most days for media ( though I try and get away from my pc on the weekend, and go fishing!) I find the 15" to be more comfortable viewing and not too cumbersome, most people in my class have like 11" netbooks, except for one girl who owns a 17" lol.

Anyway, good lucl

20. ATLCarGuy macrumors newbie

If new MBP models are indeed released (or at the very least, unveiled) at WWDC 2012, it's likely that the 13" MBP and MBA machines will be merged in to a single line. Unless there is a HUGE bump in power for the 13" MBP, it doesn't make any sense that Apple would continue to sell two computers with very similar capabilities when spec'd properly.

Personally, I would go with the 15" MBP, but as others have mentioned, wait until after WWDC. I'm currently using a 13" MB and can't wait to upgrade to one with a larger screen. The higher specs in the 15" models are another incentive.

21. chanyitian macrumors regular

If you will work on photo-editing, maybe you need a bigger screen :) but it eventually depends on whether you take your laptop around.

22. kool9dog9 macrumors newbie

Those games look alot better on a bigger screen. Go with the bigger one.