MacBook Pro 13" or 17"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hobes270, Sep 17, 2009.

1. hobes270 macrumors regular

So I am in my 4th and final year of school. I am going for multimedia (use Adobe CS4 programs for design work, then final cut for some video editing).

I cannot decide between the high end 13" or the 17". I either want to make the jump to the 17 for the screen, or use the 13 for the size. i dont really want to go with the 15" because the screen isnt much bigger than 13, in my opinion. I dont ever carry my computer to class, just to work everyday. So i take it from work to home, but thats the only place I really take it. I really am in a bind here on what to get for what I use it for.

Any help would be great.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This question is asked far too often right here. I suggest you search for more in-depth conversation.

That said, the 17" is by far not really portable. I don't know how far you travel or how often you'll have your laptop in a bag on your shoulder/back but it is too much imho. I would go 13" and external display.

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

The 17 inch definitely. I really regret getting the 15 inch, and I moved up from a 13 inch Macbook.

The 17 incher is practically made for CS4

4. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I think the newest 17" macbook pro is very portable.

5. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Well if you get the 17in MBP, I don't think you will need an external monitor unless you need more screen space. I say get the 17in as it is more powerful.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Very? If perhaps that is all he'll ever cary. You stick a phone, a wallet, a book, keys, whatever else you'd stick in your man purse and the 17" is a beast for long hauls.
    To each their own, I've lugged a 17" for all of 3 months before I felt like crap just having to actually move it from the house to the car.

7. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

i lug my 17 inch (pc) to school every day of every other week and its really not that bad you will get used to it after a couple of days

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

9. Maim macrumors member

the 17 is monsterous and will be a bit difficult to get used to portability-wise. i would say 15 but thats me.

10. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

You know this for a fact? I've lugged around a 17 inch for a while and I know several other people with 17 inch laptops that are thicker than the Macbook Pro and none of them seem to have problems.

What 'book do you have? I doubt you have any experience with the 17 inch machine.

11. Maim macrumors member

well mr presumptuous :p i borrowed one for a while from a friend when trying to decide which to get myself.
    and i got the 13

12. hobes270 thread starter macrumors regular

well in using cs4 and those apps doing design, does the dedicated video power help over the integrated? Or is it more up to ram and processing power? I am just confused as to what apps the video card would benefit from other than 3d modeling and such.

13. Maim macrumors member

the dedicated will more powerful but it really comes down to how hard you will be pushing the rendering. ie lots of snazzy effects and extreme detail will take more power to render whereas simple transitions will take a lot less. so if you are going to be doing simpler stuff it might not be worth going the whole hog on it.

14. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

the video card will definitely help in rendering 3d objects...

15. ortuno2k macrumors 6502a

There isn't much difference in weight between the 15 and the 17; but the difference is slightly more noticeable in between 13 & 17.

I'd say go for the 17, just because you get a LOT more. You'll have so much screen space, very suitable for your design work. The 13" feels like everything is cramped together.

I'm the proud owner of a late-2006 15" MBP, but will soon be upgrading to the 17" MBP.

The best thing though, is to try for yourself. Go to an Apple Store if possible and spend some time with them.

Good luck.

16. hobes270 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone soo much! I think at this point I am leaning more to the 17. I feel that with the 13 I will have a feeling that I could have gotten something better.

17. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

CS4 runs ok on my 13" but I sure do wish I could have afforded a 17"

Don't get me wrong, I love this machine and the portability is fantastic. I use an external to expand when im using CS4 but honestly, the biggest difference you will find is the better graphics options in the 17" via the seperate gfx card and matte screen.

If I were you I'd get a 17"

18. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

17" MBP works fine for me. I move mine almost every day.

It's definitely portable, considering most PC 15" laptops are the same size and same weight as MBP 17".
    I've travelled both economy and business class with the 17" MBP.

Perhaps someone needs to work out, or get a better bag.

I connect mine with a 24" display at my office.
    Usually running at the same time: 10 apps, 30+ Safari tabs, 25,000 emails and more on OS X... =)