MacBook Pro 13 or Mac Mini + Dell 10v Hackintosh?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dr.devious, Nov 1, 2009.

1. dr.devious macrumors regular

dr.devious

My wife and I are debating our next Mac purchase and we are torn between these two scenarios:

#1.
    Purchase MacBook Pro 13" base model with 24" Ext Monitor (<---Already own this)

or

#2.
    Purchase Mac Mini with our 24" monitor and purchase a Dell Mini 10v for Hackintoshing.

These computers would be used for basic photoshoping, school research, iWork, and occassional iMovie

2. dr.devious thread starter macrumors regular

dr.devious

The iMovie work would be limited to the Mac Mini in that scenario. The Dell would primarily be used for notes at our meetings and notes in church.

3. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I would probably go with Option 1, because in this case, you only have one computer to carry with you to meetings and church and back home. No need to keep two separate computers..

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

You can save money by buying refurbished. Personally, I like having 2 computers, because it makes one seem like my "main" computer, and the other as a good "note taker". The thing to remember is if you get a Mac Mini and a Dell Mini combo, you won't have any single computer that's really top of the line - although the Macbook Pro isn't really a speed demon either anymore...

Having said all that, I would get a mac mini and a Dell mini, just because those dells are freakin indestructible, and they'll never dent. :p

To keep everything in sync, I use Microsoft's Live Mesh service, but I hear dropbox works well too for keeping stuff in sync.

5. chill. macrumors 6502

scenario #2 seems to fit your needs better. better portability, cheaper price, and you can use 2 computers for you and your wife.

if it were me though, i'd probably just get #1 with the macbook so that all my data is in one place, as other users have mentioned

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I have a hackintosh netbook and i can tell you that I use it very little. With that being said, you have two users, so that seems to make more sense.

7. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

This. I find having 2+ separate computers to be a total hassle, definitely not worth it when you can just get 1 laptop, configure it as you want and never need to worry about shuffling data around.

Plus I never would recommend a hackintosh for everyday use.

8. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Mini but put Ubuntu on the dell there is a guide on how to make it like a mac for your needs ubuntu is a great choice!

9. mac&cheesey macrumors 6502

I think this is such outdated thinking. I have a Dell Mini9 Hackintoshed and it works flawlessly. I would totally rely upon it for day to day use. The only caveat there is that I don't. LOL. No, not because I don't trust it... only because the keyboard and screen are too small for extended use. The software works flawlessly though (running 10.5.8 on it). Given the larger screen size of the Mini10v that may not be an issue for the OP. Check out www.mydellmini.com for further info on Hackintoshing the mini10v.

m&c