MacBook Pro 13" or MacBook Air 13" base model

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jacklondon, Jun 13, 2012.

1. jacklondon macrumors newbie

Maybe this one has been already posted but I want to lay you down my consideration. I'm a normal user, I basically use my current MacBook late 2006 for music, Internet, photos and MS Office. My iPhoto library and iTunes Library take up to 60 gb of disc space (I am actually using iTunes Match).
    At the moment I have a limited budget. So I can either get the base model Macbook Air 13 with 8gb ram or the Pro base model with 8gb of ram. Due to my low budget I planning to have this mac a couple of years. The thing is, that the Pro can be upgraded easily with a ssd or even more ram later on, apparently the Air not.

The question is: for which mac would you guys go for?
    Thanks in advance for your help,

Jack

2. KohPhiPhi macrumors 6502a

For your use, by FAR the MBA 13" is the appropriate machine.

In fact, and since you dont need 8gb RAM for what you do (internet, iTunes, MS Office, etc), you might want to consider a second hand MBA 13" 2011 Sandy Bridge i5 with 4gb RAM. You will save money and it will serve you just as fine. You dont need the 2012 extra processing power for those daily tasks.

3. Kirixis macrumors member

Kirixis

Tough Call

If you can live without the portability, the MBP will be a better endurance machine. For a start, it's going to stand up to wear and tear better because of it's sheer bulk. Extra RAM later on is going to be absolutely worth it because applications get more intensive over time. The Ultra Low Voltage (ULV) components don't lend themselves to performance and thus longevity. As programs become ever more intensive, the slower processor and especially GPU is going to cut you worse than regular parts. ULV parts don't get as hot though but you can get external fan beds for a pro if you're serious.

Airs are very sexy and they'll throw logical decision out the window :D

If you absolutely can, save up more money and wait for Intel's Haswell architecture. Each release is on a tick tock stratergy. Sandy Bridge was game changing but Ivy bridge is the tock. Haswell is going to be a serious upgrade. ;)