Macbook Pro 13" or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ste1989, Jun 11, 2009.

  1. ste1989 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2009
    #1
    Hello, sorry for the perhaps stupid thread many of you may think this is.
    However, I just want to see others opinions on this and close the thread, I'm not trying to spam the forum.

    So, my birthday is in the early week of august.
    I am a student and so currently I am available for the ipod touch offer and £60 off printer. Aswell as the reduced pricing of the macbook pro.

    This will be my first real apple product, only had an iPod Mini before this.

    Don't get me wrong, this deal is fabulous and seems mad not to go for it.
    However, With august being my birthday, Do i perhaps foresee myself being one of the unlucky people who buys a macbook a month before a new amazing model is released in sep/oct.

    just want your guys opinions, Will there be a refresh in sept/oct, and will it be one that is worth waiting for for a person who only needs a macbook for very simple tasks, (Internet, Office, Photos) .

    thanks :)
     
  2. Diode macrumors 68020

    Diode

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2004
    Location:
    Washington DC
    #2
    Best time to buy is always right after an update.

    There is always something amazing in the future. If you keep waiting you'll never get it.

    Pull the trigger ... you'll be happy! :cool:
     
  3. ste1989 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2009
    #3
    thanks for quick response diode,.

    August isnt exactly straight after the update, :/
    But I dont want to be waiting forever.

    I think the update in future is not going to be a major benefit to my needs, and so I may as well take this amazing offer while it lasts.
     
  4. Diode macrumors 68020

    Diode

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2004
    Location:
    Washington DC
    #4
    Ahh didn't see the August date. Yea that is a little close as if you check the update history (Available in the guide section of this site) you'll see Apple typically does an update around October or November.

    If you see yourself really needing the touch and the printer I say go for it.

    This machine really is great (as I'm typing on mine now) and more then adequate for what you want to do so you won't be disappointed.
     
  5. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

    PracticalMac

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2009
    Location:
    Houston, TX
    #5
    Agreed.

    And it maybe over a year before a new MB/P will come out.
     
  6. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

    RiCEADDiCTBOY

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2007
    #6
    +1

    Go ahead and get it.
     
  7. ste1989 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2009
    #7
    thanks for replies everyone.
    I will probably go to apple store on saturday and buy one then, or alternatively wait for Ipod OS 3.0 to be out a while before buy so I prevent the charge for upgrade.

    Shame I wont be allowed to use it until birthday
     
  8. Veinticinco macrumors 6502a

    Veinticinco

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2009
    Location:
    Europe
    #8
    There'll be no charge for the upgrade - it's a straight forward firmware update, which will install via iTunes when you plug your iPhone/iPod Touch into your Mac after the 17th release date (in your case your birthday in August ;)).

    I also say buy now, they'll be nothing THAT new in the winter update as the 13" MBP is a massive stepup from the old unibody MB. Why wait, on the morning of your birthday I can only imagine the 'wow' factor as you unbox and setup your first Mac. You'll be blown away just how elegant and easy to use it is.
     
  9. ste1989 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2009
    #9
    :( I seem to be wanting one just at the wrong time.

    In the near future we are going to see SDXC cards and USB 3.0 and this purchase was one I wanted to last for at least 4/5 years.

    If they become the standards and Are way better, then I will be gutted.
    Aslong as they are not out in less than 1 year I will get over it :p
     
  10. Brien macrumors 68020

    Brien

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2008
    #10
    You won't be gutted.

    You really only have two options when it comes to technology:

    - Buy when you need/want it, and be happy when it's no longer top-of-the-line (which will happen within months), or

    - Buy a new computer every 3 to 5 months, which some people do (and if you can afford it, why not)



    That being said, buy one now. Nothing coming down the pipeline will make your computer worthless, plus any computer is obsolete after 4/5 years anyway.
     
  11. ste1989 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2009
    #11
    Sorry to revive this thread from the dead.

    but Now, I am stuck between 500gb 13" pro, and a 128ssd macbook air.

    I know the mac air doesnt have cd drive/more usb slots/sd card slot,

    however, as a person using some light internet and office use, I wonder do i really need them.


    I love the 13" pro, and I agree its way better value for money, however, seeing it next to the macbook airs today, it seemed like a brick.

    It was heavier than I expected.

    Which do I go for. I love the portability and ssd of air, but the power, slots, and battery of pro.
     
  12. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

    wingnut8

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2007
    #12
    I'd say go with the MBP and upgrade the HDD yourself.
     
  13. ste1989 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2009
    #13
    cool thanks.
    How much would I be looking at for a compatible 128 or 256 ssd for the macbook pro ?

    Havent been looking at ssd prices lately so i have no idea
     
  14. Higgs1 macrumors 6502

    Higgs1

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #14
    yea they just refreshed last week lol, doubt u'll see another in 2 months time, maybe january-ish if not later, but dude, pull the trigger now & get the free ipod touch, no brainer if you ask me

    go get it & enjoy the hell outta it, i know i am!
     
  15. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2008
    Location:
    Warsaw, Poland
    #15
    I have an Air and wouldn't exchange it for anything (except perhaps a better Air, had it existed). I think you'd be fine with it if you don't mind lack of ports, optical drive and somewhat limited storage space. That being said, I'm not sure it's a good computer to last 4-5 years. RAM will be most limiting, probably, as it's one part that is truly, competely non-upgradeable. Of course it'll still work (minus random failure that can happen to any computer), but it'll be stuck at 2 GB forever.

    OCZ Vertex 128 GB can be had for around $350 IIRC. Remember you don't have to upgrade immediately, prices will most likely continue to drop.
     

Share This Page