Macbook Pro 13" possible to deform?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cathy88, Nov 14, 2009.

1. cathy88 macrumors member

Hey everyone

Currently I own a Macbook Pro 13" which was purchased this year obviously on release date. I have realised after a long use up till now that when ever I move the display( as in the screen forward or backward) there is now some plastic squeaky sound ( it never happened before atleast when it was relatively new). I then look at the back of my Macbook Pro where the hinge is there is that long piece of plastic, I put my finger on it and push it inwards, you can hear plastic squeaking. This is also where hot air is getting blown out.

My question is could the hot air coming out of the macbook pro being too hot and slightly deform the plastic causing your screen to go squeaky when you move the screen forward or backward and would apple do anything about this?

Thanks

PS it was purchased back in June when the price for it was still quite expensive so I kinda feel bad paying this much but having a small problem (even when the problem is so small).

2. macfrik macrumors 6502

macfrik

Hi,
    I have the same problem on my unibody MBP 15" june 09. I know the squeaky sound awful on the 2k machine. I talked to the Genius and he said that this is a normal problem on the uMBPs. Even some of them in stores are having this issue. He also said that he can replace the hinge with the new one, but he cannot guarantee that it will not do squeaking anymore.

I don't think that the squeaking caused by hot air flowing out of the hinge. I think that the construction of the unibody itself is the culprit. I'm not really sure about this, since I have 2 unibodies and both of them have the issue.

3. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Plastic's not entirely stiff, so any long strip of it that spans a foot across something with minimal support in between is bound to give a bit and "squeak" as it rubs against the metal casing.;) Although mine's completely quiet...

4. macshill macrumors 6502

macshill

I heard here you can use wax dental floss to fix squeaks, but don't quote me on that one. Also, you can use mint flavoured wax dental floss so your MacBook has that fresh, minty clean to it! ;):D:p

Also: I've found using a Sulcabrush (used as an alternative to flossing) cleans between the keyboard keys nicely.

5. mahatma tom macrumors newbie

unibody deforming

I have the same issue with my 13" unibody MBP bought last october. The screen often sounds like it's about to break.

Besides, probably my desk is not perfectly even so if I use it for a long time using some intensive software (like Second Life) it heats up and probably deforms: when I put it on some other flatt surface the macbook seems lame and I have so squeeze it to flat it out (which I doubt it's good for it).

Anyway yes, I think it's an intrinsic problem of the alluminium unibody. With heat, it deforms... :-(

Yes, with the price, it's a pain.