Macbook Pro 13" Problem Charging

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by penguintri, Oct 4, 2009.

1. penguintri macrumors member

I just did a battery recalibration last night on my Macbook pro 13" and now it won't charge to 100%. It reaches 99% then the time until full just slowly increases. The light on the charger stays red and doesn't change green so I am worried about overcharging and damaging the battery. I have installed coconutbattery to monitor the batteries charge levels and does not think it has reached its maximum capacity.

However, when I unplug the ac adaptor the macbook changes to says it is at 100% and coconut battery changes to say it is at the maximum mAH. If i replug in the ac adaptor it goes straight back to 99% with coconutbattery also reporting it not fully charged. It still never hit 100% and charges continuously.

I have tried resetting the SMC but that didn't help. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

2. p3ncil macrumors regular

it's normal. once your battery hits above 90% it'll start to charge slower.

3. penguintri thread starter macrumors member

yea I know, it charges at the slower rate untill 99% then the time it says it has left just increases. It never changes green and hits 100%. But it says 100% if I unplug the ac adapter but goes straight back to 99% and charging if I plug it in again immediately. Im doing another battery calibration now to see if it fixes it.

4. p3ncil macrumors regular

isn't that normal?
    since you are using your macbook and it's drain power off the battery and the wall outlet at the same time?

5. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

It's normal, and been covered on this forum at least 5x a week

6. couto27 macrumors 6502

make sure once a month at least make a full drain and leave it stand buy for 5 to.6 hours
    the battery is 99% , 98% is because the electrons like to travel

-another thing ,dont use the mac without the battery is loses 33% performance
    -if you gone leave the mac without 1 or more months stop , leave at 50% battery charge

also search in the forums before ask.

7. penguintri thread starter macrumors member

I did the battery recalibration last night full charge then all night discharged. It was after this that it started being weird. It was never like this before. I dont use the mac without the battery cant really take it out of the macbook pro.

Im sure before I did this it used to say fully charged then, discharge to 95% then charge again to 100% not just sit on 99%/ The light on my ac adapter never goes green.

its notdoing whats mentioned in this thread.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=797383&highlight=charging

Mine never stops charging even though I know it should when it goes above 95% and being used. I thought it was supposed to stop charging as a method of battery protection.

I can find no other threads with my issue!

8. p3ncil macrumors regular

try this. once it's at 99%
    shut down your mac.
    leave the plug in.

check back every 5 mins or so and see if it has turned green.

9. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Once its on 99% sleep it or shut it down for an hour on the charger. On my school MB it only ever reaches 99% unless I do that :eek:

10. penguintri thread starter macrumors member

I switched it off with the battery stuck at 99% and still charging. I left it for two hours and the light didn't go green. When I switched it back on it still said 99% and its said 11mins until full for 30mins now.