MacBook Pro 13 RAM policy sucks

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by satchmo, Oct 17, 2015.

1. satchmo macrumors 68000

I know this that has been with us for a few years now. But as I'm looking to buy a new MBP, it still bugs me that Apple forces MBP 13" buyers to choose their RAM needs at the outset.

Apple has been doing this with the 21" iMac too. But one could argue it's a consumer machine.

But this is a 'Pro' machine...so treat us as professionals. As my business grows, I may need more RAM. But not until I need it. This RAM upgrade policy is not imposed on the 15" MBP but only on the 13". I don't want a 15".

As much as I love Apple products, some of their polices are just so filled with greed.

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

OSX's Virtual memory, RAM compression and SSDs mean 4GB of RAM from 3yrs ago can perform near as well as 16GB today. Unless you use VMs you won't notice a problem.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

"Pro" is 100% marketing. Buy the computer that suits your needs now and upgrade when it doesn't.

And as the other poster said, 8GB is plenty of RAM for most usage. By the time you need more than that, other parts of the computer are going to need upgrades also.

4. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

I think this discussion is about 3 years too late. Whatever we think of Apple's motivation behind what they do, not all "professionals" are hardcore engineers or Photoshop types. Accountants, spreadsheet warriors, writers and teachers are 'professionals" too - and they do not typically need a fully tricked out rig to be productive.

5. cycledance Suspended

wrong.

how much ram do you have? thought so.

6. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

I have systems on both 4GB Air (with SSD obviously), and a 16GB with bootable SSD and HDD systems for VMs. Outside VM usage the systems behave very similarly. RAM compression takes 4GB to nearly 8GB seamlessly in anything like "normal" usage, even when swapping, for most uses the user is the slowest element, not swapping to SSD.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

While I agree the compression improves the situation, I don't see a 4:1 compression. I think it helps not to the amount of emulating the performance of a machine with 16GB.

8. satchmo thread starter macrumors 68000

Well, some have referred to Apple is a marketing company disguised as a computer maker.
    I typically keep my Macs for 5 years. So while some components may need upgrades, in the past, I've been able to replace them myself (SSD, optical drive, and RAM).

9. satchmo thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes, I mentioned the timing in my original post.
    And this really has nothing to do with the type of profession. I know some account managers with huge FileMaker databases and Excel spreadsheets that have outgrown their 8gb RAM.

10. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

I listed 3 factors, not one, and stated "near as well as..."

11. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

What a machine is called means nothing Apple have always described the 13 inch unibody pro as a prosumer machine.

More to the point apple and many other makers of thin light laptops solder the RAM for a variety of engineering reasons, if this is not what you want don't buy an apple laptop buy something with unsoldered RAM. As others have mentioned 8GB is fine for most users for the forseeable future and they provide a 16GB option if you are one of the people who needs more. Can't see what your complaint is.

12. xWhiplash macrumors 65816

Agreed. Even on Windows 7 and doing Photoshop work, I am able to use it with 3GB (at work).

Also, since when does a computer need to be upgradable to be considered for professionals?

Do video editors or photographers need to know computer hardware too?

13. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

You can't upgrade the RAM even on the 15" MBP (but it is 16 Gb by default).

The only solution you have right now is to BTO to 16 Gb if you think your needs in the next 4-5 years will grow.
    I just bought one with 8 Gb because it is more than enough for my needs.