Macbook Pro 13 Replacement Computer Options. Customer relations?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheAppleFreakk, Jul 31, 2011.

1. TheAppleFreakk, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2011

TheAppleFreakk macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have 13" Macbook Pro Base Model Mid 2009 w/ AppleCare. I babied this computer since I bought it on Black Friday (got a free iPod with it also). It was working flawlessly for around a year, and later, the bluetooth would randomly disconnect on me.

I went to the apple store, and I think they reset the preferences or something and it was working okay for like an hour after I came back. I couldn't go back the next day because I had school and was pretty busy with it for the next few months. So about 3 weeks ago, my macbook pro became worse (bluetooth stopped working entirely, webcam was not working, speakers weren't working, and the wifi stopped working). I took it to the apple store, and they said they would replace the logic board, display, wifi card, and speakers. They promised me that they could fix it in a day if they had all the parts, and they would call me this night to give me an updated estimate. They called me and said they don't have a display so they said it will take 2 days tops. So I called them after 2 days, and they said another 24 hours. This continued for the next 4 days until they called me back and said they were terribly sorry because they should have sent the computer to the repair center (another 4-6 days). I got annoyed and asked to speak with the manager. Finally, he picked up the phone and promised that it will be fixed in 3-4 HOURS. So, after a few hours passed, he called me and said the computer was fixed. I finally went to the apple store, and the Genius said they replaced everything and its "rock-solid" and it was probably the best computer repair they have ever did and I should not worry about it for a next couple of YEARS.

I took it home, and after a few days I began to notice that the speakers would start failing on me randomly. I thought I should reinstall the operating system, but the problem still occurred. I called the applecare support online and they said thats its a software issue, but I insisted that it was a hardware issue. They gave me a case number and told me to call again if the speakers fail again and the Sound System Preference setting shows the internal speakers as the source of audio. It happened a day after and I even took a clear video from my iPhone as proof of this problem also. However, this time the issue was coupled with bluetooth problems and webcam failures (yea sounds like a logic board problem again).

After calling them they told me that I should mail the computer to the Apple Repair Center because the Apple Store is clogged up with pending repairs and get it fixed, but, unfortunately, I can't part with my computer for more than a day because I am a contractor and I have loads of work that are pending from last week's debacle, and I asked them for a replacement computer. The woman kept repeating the same thing that I could send it to the store or she can send me the box and she said she feels my pain. After hours and hours at an end, she refused to send me a replacement computer, and I asked her if I can speak to the Apple Customer Relations. She said that they were closed on the weekends and that I should call back on the weekday. I was researching around on this forum and found that a few people got a replacement computer from Apple Customer Relations like this one right here -

|
    \ /
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1185818

However instead of cosmetic scratches and broken hinges, my problem consists of a computer that had already gone through one major repair for well over a week (the repair costed $800 but was free with AppleCare), and I still encountered problems after less than week after the repair. I have completely lost faith in the fidelity of this machine and want a replacement computer, but was turned down by the Senior Adviser of AppleCare. Will the Customer Relations Department be willing to help out with this pressing issue? Do you think I can get a replacement computer if I argue with them for more than an hour non-stop? Thanks for all the help. :)

2. simsaladimbamba

Paragraphs would help a lot, as this wall of text is quite uncomfortable to read.
    To edit your posts, use the [​IMG] button.

3. TheAppleFreakk thread starter macrumors newbie

4. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

No. If you're nice though, they might help you. You'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar ;)

5. TheAppleFreakk thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea I honestly don't know what to do anymore so that was just a thought. nice analogy though :p

6. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

and that means you can't type?
    just kidding :) Call back on the this week and speak to a higher up like you intended to do in the first place., but you may not get a replacement til you have another major repair + failure report back afterwards.

7. BrickbookPro macrumors regular

I doubt it. I had to go without my computer twice before finals week in college. I also used my computer extensively for my photography job. The first time they actually broke my computer more. Since it was only 31 days or so after I had bought it (1 day outside the 30 day guaranty or so) I asked for them to overnight me a replacement because I wanted to just swap out the hard drive into the new one and send them back the old one. I explained that I had 5 tests with all of my study materials and work materials on laptop. This was still a no go.

In the end I ended up without my laptop for 4 days and a 8gb previous gen refurbished iPod touch. Not bad, I guess, but less then I would hope for on a newly bought computer.

8. TheAppleFreakk thread starter macrumors newbie

Did you contact Customer Relations? Does Customer Relations actually help?

9. randomrazr macrumors 65816

go back to the apple store and request a replacement since its gonna be repaired for a THIRD time.

your case is different then mine in terms of a replacement. (you quoted my thread)

i JUST bought my computer not to long ago and it needed repairs. yours is well over a year old. i felt it was unfair that i paid a sh** load for it and ahve to send it in so soon after buying it. it took 4 months but eventually a customer relations service rep understood my case and put in a request for a replacement. it didnt get approved at first but managed to get it in anyway. (my macbook is in mephis tennaseee, should be here on tuesday) :D

anyways, from my experience, replacing iphones and ipods is easy but apple is very strict on computers.

i assume u still have applecare on it? anyways take it back to the store and calmly say you are fed up that repairs have done nothing and request a replacement. (assuming u still ahve warrenty)

you can try apple care again and try to speak with a customer relations rep but it depends on who u get . you will have better luck taking it in to the store so try that first.

10. BrickbookPro macrumors regular

They didn't really help speed up the situation. Instead they told me I could get any item under $150 (off of the apple website--excluding apple care and gift cards) as compensation for my troubles.

So I was still without my device. Not really helpful but it was something. Your mileage may vary as your issues sound worse than mine.

11. TheAppleFreakk thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you mind enlightening me on how you managed to get your case approved? I find it totally unacceptable for a computer to get a problem after less than a week a repair has been made on the computer. I have applecare, and they replaced almost everything (display, logic board, speakers, and airport card).

12. TheAppleFreakk thread starter macrumors newbie

Honestly, I would have pushed the case further if I were you but I guess $150 credit isn't too bad. But as I stated before, the computer had problems less than a week after it being repaired, and the Genius Bar said that it was the BEST repair they did and he told me that this computer should be rock-solid and last me for the next couple of YEARS.

13. BrickbookPro macrumors regular

I pushed it as far as I could. I was quite upset that I had already been without it for 2 days during the initial repair and that I had to ship it out for a 4 day repair because they damaged the charging apparatus (battery wouldn't charge). I spoke to the highest supervisor possible. The last one I spoke with said her supervisor had nothing to do with my request and that his only affiliation with her was making sure she showed up to work. Case and point: I wasn't getting any more than the $150.

As I said, your situation sounds a bit worse than mine as they had basically just replaced the whole guts of your computer and you then had another issue. Given the extensive repairs already put into it it sounds like it may be more cost effective for them to just give you a replacement computer as repeated $800 repairs begin to add up fast. Obviously they missed something the first time that was causing the issue (or they repaired poorly, put a temporary fix on it just to get you your computer back so that you would stop complaint [justifiably]).

14. randomrazr macrumors 65816

i didnt say anything to get it to the "approval" point. the guy just said he can move forward to get a replacement. i think it was just" lucky". i could have said my same story to someone eles and they would just say take it to repair.

15. TheAppleFreakk thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry I should have clarified the question better. You said that "it didnt get approved at first but managed to get it in anyway." Do you mind sharing what you did to get it approved the second time? I am thinking of calling the apple customer relations tomorrow as a trip to the Apple Store is very inconvenient for me. =/

16. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

You can't be without your computer for more than a day? It sounds like Apple wants to fix it but you refuse to send it in. A computer is not a disposable item and Apple would rather make a couple attempts to make it right rather than simply throw out what might be a fine unit. Make other arrangements till the service center returns the computer.

17. randomrazr macrumors 65816

well actuall yhe never said it wasnt approved, he more or less got it approved under my cicumstances

plus the guy i was tlkaing to was in canada, so i dunno if the american creps are any different or not

18. TheAppleFreakk thread starter macrumors newbie

I did not want to send it in to Apple for shipping because after the entire debacle with last week's repair. They kept giving me 24 hour estimates and when I finally got my computer, I am encountering similar problems even with supposedly new parts installed. I don't want Apple simply delaying the replacement for a month through "repairs" and put me in a position where I can't go to the Apple Store for another few months because of college and examination. They replaced almost every aspect of the computer, yet I am still having the problems. I expected that the computer would perform well for a next couple of years as the Genius Bar Rep. told me it will.

19. TheAppleFreakk thread starter macrumors newbie

Are the Customer Relations Reps the only people with the power to provide you with a replacement computer option?

20. Naimfan macrumors 601

Naimfan

Dude, send it in to get fixed and stop looking for a handout because you're now unhappy with yours.

21. randomrazr macrumors 65816

i dont know

22. TheAppleFreakk thread starter macrumors newbie

I am sorry, but I don't quite understand what you are trying to say and mean by the term "handout".

23. Naimfan macrumors 601

Naimfan

You come across as one of those people who are trying to game the system into giving you the latest, newest, greatest, etc., for free. Send your computer in and let Apple fix it.

24. TheAppleFreakk thread starter macrumors newbie

I am sorry if I come across as that, but I am genuinely disappointed in the fact that my computer experienced problems a week after Apple fixed it. I guess I can send it in to them again and see what happens (hopefully the computer won't experience problems in less than a week). =) I'll talk to Apple today and report back!

25. flipshot macrumors 6502a

Apple stores can authorise replacements too, don't expect it to be quick though, took them a month to order a replacement in for me, that was on top of the previous 5 weeks of attempted repairs.