Macbook Pro 13 retina 2013 or 2014 ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jmfel1926, Jun 5, 2014.

1. jmfel1926 macrumors member

Hi,

i am on the moment of buying a macbook pro and more precisely the pro 13 retina... Should i buy it now or wait until the new releases? When are the new pro's going to be presented? I couldn't find any rumors on google ...

2. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

Do you need a computer now or can you wait ~6 months?

If you need it now: buy

If you can wait: wait

No one knows... the next major jump for Intel's processors (Broadwell) won't arrive until late this year/early next year.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You couldn't find a rumor because at the moment there are none.

Apple won't release an update until Intel releases the Broadwell chipset, and that is going to occur until the Holiday season. Are you prepared to wait 4 to 6 months? Its quite possible we'll not see a new rMBP until 2015.

If you can hold off then waiting is always better but if you cannot, enjoy the computer that is available now :)

4. Trvlngnrs macrumors 6502

Trvlngnrs

Agreed!

The current MBP's are powerful machines.

5. solideliquid macrumors 6502

solideliquid

I have a mid-2012 rMBP, is upgrading to the base 15" or the top spec'd 13" worth it?

6. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

No. I think it's worth upgrading when you have something really faster than the older one. A top-spec Haswell rMBP won't perform more than 50% faster than the low-end mid-2012. The high-end 2012 one it's even on par with current rMBPs, although the latter have better battery life.

7. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

This.

Honestly, I would just get one now. I don't see the point in improving the current model anyway.

For general use, you can't get any better. Battery life is all day and the speed and snappiness of 10.9.3 is incredible. Apps open up immediately. Web pages using Chrome load instantly.

What more could you want? :confused:

Unless you just want the "latest and greatest"

8. The Mercurian macrumors 65816

1. More speed.
    2. More RAM.
    3. More battery.

In that order.

9. AAtte macrumors newbie

Has there been problems with 2014 manufactured 15'' Retinas? Its serial number is ''ML'' so it has been made 2014, april and week 17. I don't know if it has Samsung's or LG's screen. Does it even matter anymore? Is it safe to buy? The package is unopened so there is no information, if the screen is OK or not.

I'm considering to wait for the ''Broadwell screens''.

10. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

I don't need any of that. Instant is the fastest it can get. More RAM? For what? And battery is all day except when watching videos on Chrome.

I'm good. I'm maxed out for my needs.

11. The Mercurian macrumors 65816

For what ? GIS modelling. I can easily use all the RAM in a 16GB machine. I would prefer 32GB. I have data files that are GB in size. I want more speed because some of my models take 24hours to run which means I can't really do anything else in that time. When I do this stuff on battery the battery life is really poor (although in fairness I rarely do this on battery - but more battery is always good). A desktop is not a practical option for me because I travel alot.

Plenty of people do more than just surf the net and watch videos on Chrome you know. Just because you are all set does not mean everyone is. Anyone doing complex statistics, video editing, and others and spends alot of time on the road wants/needs these advances.

12. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

Just wondering, but do you have a server somewhere that you can remote into to actually run your computational models? From what I have seen with GIS work, it is pretty common for them to do that especially for the more memory or CPU intensive workflows.

13. The Mercurian macrumors 65816

Nope! Zero chance of getting one unless I set one up myself. Thought about getting a hex core mac pro to do just that - but ultimately it is too expensive and too impractical for me

14. 1Sail0r2, Jun 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  15. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

Theres always going to be something better on the way. If the current range will do what you want it to then just get it.

16. mobi-logic macrumors newbie

I am going to buy rMBP 15"/16/512 next weekend. I waited for WWDC if something gets announced but now no more waiting. The only wait is for next Saturday to come when I can lay hand on my first Mac laptop and really looking forward to it.

I was also in the same confusion that which model to go for and if to wait for something new to come, but after going through many threads here decided that its useless to time your purchase with release of new technology. If the current technology fulfill your goals then go for it and simply enjoy it.

I heard that next release will bring Broadwell processors that will improve GPU and battery. My work don't involve extensive use of GPU and hence that is not what I need to wait for. Also I am satisfied with the current battery life (ofcourse any addition to it is welcome). So me personally don't need to wait anymore and should just start enjoying the machine and the increase in productivity it brings with it (I am an IT professional and hence needs to use machine for job purpose).