MacBook Pro 13" Retina Speakers

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SamGabbay, Oct 28, 2012.

1. SamGabbay macrumors 6502a

SamGabbay

For anyone who has the Retina MacBook 13", do the speaker sound absolutely incredible for you as well or is it just me?

I feel as if the Bass is much higher and it's louder. Compared to the old MacBook 13", sounds like a much bigger improvement.

Last question, did they mention this in the Keynote?

2. GrandPhrase macrumors 6502

Won't tell you for certain as I don't have one..
    But I heard somewhere that the speakers were redesigned to provide better sound just like the 15" rMBP.

3. iScreamSanWitch macrumors member

If I remember correctly, they did..

4. mfram macrumors 65816

Just listened to a song. I think the bass is pretty anemic. The mids actually sound half-decent. But the treble was pretty sloppy. I guess for a laptop the sound was OK. Definitely better than the MacBook Air I had before. But I'm certainly not wowed by the sound.

5. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

6. Glenn.eu macrumors member

Glenn.eu

Is there anybody that has the 13 & 15 inch macbook retina to compare the speaker quality? They both have updated speakers and i wonder if there is a big difference between those 2.

7. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

One of the first things I noticed on my new 13" rMBP:D While they won't replace any 2.1 speaker systems with a subwoofer, they are immensely better than any previous gen MBP, and plenty loud enough for casual listening.

It almost seems like there is sound coming out of all openings in the machine rather than just the grills at the base of the screen. Like, it seems that sound is coming from the USB and TB ports too which make it sound louder. I'm happy with it for sure.

8. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

I sincerely hope you didn't spend $1600+ on a laptop for the speakers . . . ;)

They're a bit better than the cMBP.

9. MacLifer macrumors member

.. vs 15" rMBP speakers?

Are the 13" rMBP speakers just as good as the 15" rMBP speakers? I have heard contradictory stories.

10. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

No.

The 15" rMBP speakers are slightly better than the ones in the 13" rMBP.

11. SamGabbay thread starter macrumors 6502a

SamGabbay

Same reaction here!

----------

Lol I didn't even know the speakers would be that good when buying them.

Thank you for the feedback!

12. willcapellaro macrumors 6502

That's good to know. So shouldn't be a make or break when deciding between the two?

13. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Definitely not! The make or break is needing:

• Quad Core processor
    • Discrete GPU
    • More screen space
    • The ability to go full HD (1920x1080)

14. luffytubby macrumors 6502a

luffytubby

The problem with this line of thinking is that it makes laptop manufacs skip on providing good sound.

The laptop I have now has atrocious sound. Its so bad you cant sit in bed and watch a movie on it, you cant watch youtube clips very well - and this describes a lot of laptop speakers.

Just because you can hook it up to something great, quality should be consistent on a product everywhere when you are paying a premium and buying something called pro.

for sure, headphones is the way to go, but its not always nice to wear a pair. sometimes (When more people are watching the screen) you want shared sound.

thanfully the retina 15 has one of the best speaker systems i've ever heard in a laptop.

15. willcapellaro macrumors 6502

I am waiting for the refresh which should have quad core and an even better integrated GPU. Discrete GPU would seal the deal but we know Apple won't go there (inertia). I wish they were curious enough to make it an upgrade option, they would see that a good amount of people would opt for it.

It comes down to uber portability vs power. Really hard to choose if you need both.

16. impaler macrumors 6502

Late to the thread, but just picked up one of the new 13" MacBook Pros. Had a MacBook Air prior to this...and never owned a Pro before. But having the speakers on the sides is amazing! It's really stunning!