Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jkwang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2011
I've read a lot of different threads about SATA III SSDs and I know they've been having some compatibility issues.

I was wondering if Apple or Intel (I'm leaning towards the Intel 510 for my 2011 mbp 13'') has made any recent updates or fixes for these issues.

People have said that it is an Apple issue, where the cable was faulty. Has Apple made changes to their line of mbp lately? My production date is late May- early June so I'm not sure if the SATA III cable might be faulty or not. I've been leaning towards the Intel 510, but I want to wait if the compatibility issues are still there... Any advice?

Thanks for anyone who can help out!

Minhthien

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
I've read a lot of different threads about SATA III SSDs and I know they've been having some compatibility issues.

I was wondering if Apple or Intel (I'm leaning towards the Intel 510 for my 2011 mbp 13'') has made any recent updates or fixes for these issues.

People have said that it is an Apple issue, where the cable was faulty. Has Apple made changes to their line of mbp lately? My production date is late May- early June so I'm not sure if the SATA III cable might be faulty or not. I've been leaning towards the Intel 510, but I want to wait if the compatibility issues are still there... Any advice?

You are CLEARED! Go for it! I personally went with 320 series because I could save some $$ and there are more positive feedback on 320 vs 510 on newegg.

Macsavvytech

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2010

The Intel 510 SSD is a bit off hit and miss, go get an OWC or OCZ if you need speed, otherwise get an Intel 320. Unless you d o large file transfers you aren't going to notice a difference anyway.

jkwang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2011
Thanks for the input.

I was originally debating whether to get the 320 or 510, but I feel like the mbp won't live up to its full potential with just the 320.

Nonetheless, I'm glad that the cable issues have been cleared up. Now it's just time for a little more research on the SSDs.

jkwang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2011
Hm. If the 13'' mbp have not had the cable issue, I guess the compatibility issues from the Intel 510 SSD must be caused by something else.

I guess I'll wait and see how these issues resolve themselves in the near future.

accessoriesguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
OWC and Intel are the best imo.
OWC has a 3 year warranty, faster, and cheaper!
Intel however may use less energy than the OWC drive.

JronMasteR

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2011
Switzerland
I can also recommend the Vertex 3. A lot of people, including me, have one of those in their MBP and it works great. Incredible performance for a fair price.
However, an OWC SSD is maybe the best choice. You get great support, up to 5 years of warranty and a high quality drive. They have also promised a firmware flash tool for mac in the near future, which could be a contributing factor for your decision.

kanit

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2011
Caltech
Wow, no one mentioned the Cruical M4. Works great with firmware 002. Intel 510 has issues with the MBPs so it is not recommended. The intel 320 has a bug which has not been fixed, again not recommended. OWC and OCZ use Sandforce controller which is not known to be very reliable. The M4 is IMO the best SATA 3 SSD for the MBP. 2nd would be the OWC SSDs. Would rate the OCZ and Intels last.

jkwang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2011
I see... does anyone know about the mbp 13 inconsistencies with the intel 510? AnandTech wrote that the benchmarks were different between the mbp 13 and the mbp 15. Was that a prevalent problem?

I also keep hearing about sleep/wake issues plaguing both the Intel 510 and the Vertex 3. Were those issues that could easily be fixed?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.