Macbook Pro 13" Scratch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HazRutter, Sep 11, 2009.

1. HazRutter macrumors regular

HazRutter

Right, so today I was leaning across my Macbook Pro 13" unibody (latest ones) to shut a window. I then realised my bag was on the (shut) case. I then ,in a panic, took off the bag and threw it to the side (XD).

To my horror, there are scratches on the top case, a fairly shallow one (I think) going from near the apple logo to the corner and then a really deep one in the corner. I will take pics later.

So, I just bought this less than a month ago to use for school, so i'm a bit angry. I also bought applecare with it, so I wondered what I should do / whether I can get it sorted with the applecare?

If not, are their any methods of removing the scratches (buffing them out?) or getting the top case replaced.

2. bartelby macrumors Core

Applecare doesn't cover this kind of thing.

You could just live with it. Stuff gets scratched.

3. Griff110 macrumors member

Applecare wont cover you for this type of damage, to be honest, scratches in the finish will be hard to remove, you run the risk of making it worse as the finish is non shiny, I know it's a bummer but I would leave it as is.

4. HazRutter thread starter macrumors regular

HazRutter

I suppose that is what I am going to have to do then isnt it. Just out of curiosity, what does applecare cover XD

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Applecare is a warranty that covers you against manufacturing defects and component failures. It isn't an insurance policy against accidental damage.

The MacBook Pro casing is anodised aluminium with a satin finish so you can't polish the scratches out, it would probably end up looking worse than when you started.

If you have accidental damage cover on your home insurance policy you might be able to claim for a new casing, if not you will just have to live with it or stump up the cash to get it repaired.

6. bartelby macrumors Core

Manufacturing and product faults.
    It's not an insurance policy against damage caused by the user accidentally or otherwise.

EDIT: Great minds OllyW!

7. HazRutter thread starter macrumors regular

HazRutter

Oh ok, thanks guys..

Just out of intrest, any idea roughly how much it would be to get it repaired?

8. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

unless you are an atypical student, ie. financially independent with a significant amount of income, living with a scratch is way more reasonable than getting a part replaced.

9. analytical44 macrumors regular

Just had to get my trackpad replaced. They wound up having to replace the entire base of the computer. It was covered under AppleCare but the price on the receipt was like $350 USD. Not sure how much of a difference there is between the top and the base but I'm assuming it'll be at least a couple hundred.

If money is an issue learning to live with it will be your best bet. Sorry.

10. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

Should have gone with squaretrade insurance...

11. Derald Lary macrumors member

case repair

Look at this url, I just had the unibody case repaired on my 13 inch MBP and their work was fast, perfect and the company was great to do business with. I opted for expedited shipping. Sent the computer out on Tuesday and got it back today (Friday). My insurance covered shipping and repair less a hundred dollar deductible. Give them a call. Their web site is here. . Scroll down to case repair.
    http://www.myservice.com/macbookpro.html[/url]

12. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

to repair this, Apple replaces the whole display assembly. including the display, glass, isight, wifi, & bluetooth stuff, that is all in the display.

i believe the price is around $600 give or take.

i know it sucks, these things have a way of really bothering me when they happen.

either live with it (you will look at it and it will turn your stomach everyday)
    or
    fix it (alot of money)

if you fix it, you should get the old scratched display back. you could then sell it on ebay to someone with a cracked screen and maybe recoup some money

13. ddtemplar macrumors newbie

I think you should try to just not worry about it. Its a laptop and is going to acquire some wear and tear as you lug it about. Besides you should be staring at the screen not at the outside case :p.

The only way to avoid this sort of wear and tear is to either never move your laptop off your desk, or to incase the thing in some sort of protective plastic cover. Both of these options default the purpose of a laptop, its portability

14. kuato macrumors member

If I were you I would just cover it with a sticker or protective case.

15. Eshyn macrumors member

Try $900

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Instead of arguing, won't it just be easier to say you don't want to pay for it. ;)

17. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

yeah, I thought it might be closer to that, but was not sure. either way I know it is a hell of alot more than i want to pay.

Who is arguing?

18. Griff110 macrumors member

don't know how big/deep the scratch is, do a search on you tube quite a few people are having the mbp lazer etched with a design on the lid, maybe it could be a way of disguising the scratch. I have no idea how much that would cost though, would also make you mbp a one of a kind.

Tom
    Edit found this one :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkLQLY1FuvM