Macbook Pro 13" screen goes black... Need help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andresmac, Mar 6, 2010.

1. andresmac macrumors newbie

Hi there,

Just bought a new Macbook pro 13" running with snow Leopard with the latest combo update.I also recently installed Windows Xp SP3 using Boot camp. Then updated the Boot camp utility to 3.1 version using the Xp operating system. I am very new to mac so i will highly appreciate your comments.
    When I did that... I am not sure if that has something to do with it... My screen started to go black when picking up the laptop with an external usb HD plugged on it. then it came back after a few seconds. Pressed the start button as i thought it had something to do with going to sleep, it did not do anything but it came back alone.
    At one time it came back when I moved the Hard Drive, and black again when I moved it again...I just noticed that when I unplugged the external hard drive it goes black then comes back, then black again when I plug it again...

Hope you guys can give a hand with this.

Regards, Andresmac

2. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

I have the same laptop as you and what you describe is not normal behavior. I see 2 possibilities...

1. Your laptop has a loose connection, cracked etch and any kind of movement or vibration can cause the fault you describe.

2. You are being fooled. Your machine is really just entering sleep and your moving it when it happened was just a coincidence.

I tend to think it is #1. In that case, your machine is new, it is under warranty. If you live near an apple store take it in. If you don't call apple and see what they say. It needs to get fixed.

Edit: Thought of a third possibility...

Just curious... can you make it happen whenever you want? Are you on battery power or wall power? If the battery was almost empty and you are running on only battery), putting an external drive into the firewire or usb could cause the machine to shutdown as that could exceed the power requirements a drained battery could supply.

3. andresmac thread starter macrumors newbie

It could be that.

It does not happen when I like it to, it just choses to happen. I will take it to the store and see what they say. It is just frustrating.
    I am also going to try with a different sort of cable...

Thanks a lot for your reply...

Andresmac

4. mturkvkm macrumors newbie

What did apple store tech people tell u?.did they resolve the issue?