MacBook Pro 13" slow. Short of ideas...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zygissimo, Nov 8, 2012.

1. zygissimo macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am using MacBook Pro 13" 2011 late. Mountain lion 10.8.2, 4GB RAM.

The problem is that I see the rainbow circle spinning over and over again. I use it for my work: mail, browser, photoshop, etc. I am usually using 10-20 programs at a time.

I did clean install, and I've transferred my files from time machine manually. Why manually? Because my time machine backups were 4 years old so I didn't want the files, that might slow my system down back again. Also I've installed all the programs I need, did not transferred them from time Machine.

But for e.g. my system preferences loads up 15-20 seconds. It is not normal, right? Activity monitor shows 1GB free RAM, no CPU overload.

I dont know what to do. I could do clean install again and not to transfer my info from time machine at all. But I have a lot of bookmarks in my browsers, saved passwords.. So it would be a mess to do it all over again.

By the way, all these saved passwords, email, bookmarks are from my first mac 4 years ago in different OS.

Is there any way to test, why my mac gets slow? Especially after a few working days with no shut down.

Thanks!

2. Elijen macrumors 6502

Elijen

No matter what I think you need more RAM. Also check if spotlight is not indexing, that might slow down computer.

It's also good idea to run basic diagnostic tools for RAM and HDD.

3. zygissimo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks,

Yup, the computer sometimes is indexing files, maybe once a week. And that is a bit strange.

Will try to upgrade RAM to 8GB.

4. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

I noticed that the latest versions of 10.8 and 10.7 are more RAM hungry than their predecessors on my machines. Whereas 4GB used to be fine, our computers that only have 4GB and run ML are don't have a lot of headroom and occasionally page out with moderate use. Those that can take it will consequently be upgraded to 8GB in short order. You should do the same, especially if your running 10-20 programs simultaneously.

5. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

I have first hand experience with this particular model. 4 GB did indeed become too little to run the basic web and iTunes with no paging to that slow HDD. 8 GB cured that and no page outs means a much peppier MacBook!

6. chriscl macrumors 6502

chriscl

I have a mid-2012 MBP 13" (the 'base' model) and I upgrade mine from the stock 4GB to 16GB of lovely Crucial RAM.

I was astonished by the increase in speed.

And it only cost me £55 (GB Pounds).

In terms of value-for-money, a RAM upgrade for the MBP is the best performance update you can get.

7. zygissimo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everybody. I've had 4GB, now I have 10GB of RAM and it works like a charm.

Thanks for advice!

8. richnyc macrumors regular

richnyc

Congrats, now start looking for a nicely priced SSD;)

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'd suggest buying a matching 8 GB stick so you are in dual channel mode. Otherwise you're suffering a slight performance loss.