Macbook Pro 13 SSD vs 15 I5?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Airforcekid, May 1, 2010.

1. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Two choices:
    Base 13 inch with a 256GB SSD
    2.53 I5 15 inch macbook pro

Ive had a Macbook Air 2.13GHZ SSD and loved it went to an HP I3 that broke I liked windows 7 but missed OSX. I will be using CS3 Dreamweaver and some CS3 Photoshop and using bootcamp for windows 7 just to play games like Hearts of Iron 3 and World in Conflict I also have been downloading from Usenet a good bit but I store movies etc externally.75 percent of the time it will be hooked up to a external monitor. I plan on giving this away in about a year when my sister goes to college as a present and I will go back to the Air hopefully.

EDIT: I guess I could go 15 inch with 128GB SSD for about the same price but wouldn't such a small amount of space slow the drive? (WINDOWS 7 AND OSX)

2. foidulus macrumors 6502a

Probably depends on how long you plan on keeping the computer, if you are a person who swaps computers every 2 years then go with the 13" with the ssd, it will be faster for most tasks right out of the box. However if you plan to keep the thing for a while I would go with the 15" i5 since you can always upgrade the HD later(or swap out the optical drive like a lot of people are doing), but you cannot upgrade the CPU(and of course the size of the machine as well :p)

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

For Creative Suite and BootCamp SSD is worth it as it speeds up boot and launch times. 128GB isn't too small for two OSs and you can always get a bigger one or replace SuperDrive with HD/SSD. I would get i5 as it is noticeably better than C2D