Macbook Pro 13" suitable, or invest in a 15"?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by f1d, Sep 13, 2011.

1. f1d macrumors member

Hi all,

Needing some advice as I cannot decide or make up my mind on whether to purchase a 13" Macbook Pro or a 15".

Originally I was going to buy a 13" Macbook Air - however they seem to be out of stock everywhere and I need a new laptop soonish so don't want to wait at the moment. Therefore I'm looking at other options.

The laptop itself will be a general "lounging around" laptop... i.e. one I will sit in bed with, sit on the sofa with, watch DVDs on now and again (or stream) and just general surf the internet and tasks like that.

I don't want to be playing games - I have a powerful desktop PC for that which is Windows so can play all the latest games. I think even if the option is there, I probably wouldn't use it on my laptop (why play on my laptop when I can get much better on a big 22" screen on my PC). That said, I wouldn't say no to a bit of light gaming.

I will use photoshop, but only lightly, i.e. for a bit of touching up/cropping. The performance I get on my current 15" laptop with Photoshop (core i3) is fine for me, so I'm sure the MBP can top that.

I also do some programming... mainly Java development in Netbeans at the moment (again light, for hard core I would use my PC) however I wouldn't say no to some iOS development as well. Would the 13" be able to handle this OK?

Even though my current laptop is 15" and it will take some use to "downsizing"... my current laptop even at 15" is a pain to carry around (one of the reasons for wanting an Air) so I think a 13" would be just fine, especially for what I think I want it for. That said, I'm a little worried about the resolution.

I am looking to get the £1,299 (so the higher end) spec 13".

Any ideas/suggestions or advice on purchasing this or what to go for? Looking to get this today/tomorrow! :D

Thanks in advance!

2. tuftywhite macrumors member

Spend the money on RAM and you'll be happy with the 13" MBP.

3. f1d thread starter macrumors member

Sounds good - definitely will upgrade the RAM at some stage.

Would you recommend the high end or low end 13"? Not looking to save money really but was thinking if the 13" CPU is good enough for what I need then can spend money on RAM and HDD upgrade (not that I use much laptop space anyway as all my video files are on PC).

Is the CPU upgrade in the high end 13" worth the extra?

4. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

IMO, it's not. For what you do, just get the base model and upgrade to 8GB RAM and a faster HDD or SSD. If you feel you need more speed, a SSD will be more beneficial than the CPU upgrade. Save your money, buy it on MacMall or something to avoid tax and upgrade yourself.

5. shurcooL macrumors 6502a

The "high-end" model of 13" MBP is not worth it for anyone. It's just $300 extra for like 5% increase in performance and storage. Money thrown away, basically. The base model is infinitely better value.