macbook pro 13" temp through the roof when surfing youtube

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by André M, Jul 21, 2009.

1. André M macrumors member

Hey!

As the topic states, my macbook pro 13" temp shoots through the roof when surfing youtube but normal internet usage doesnt make any noticable change in temp.

From what I know the network is controlled by the CPU (since the macbook pro doesn't have its own network card, correct me if im wrong) which could explain the increase in heat but when I for ex. download something and its running at the max speed my broadband can handle it doesnt change the temp to any noticable degree either.

Any thoughts on why this might happen?

edit:

Normal internet usage : 45-50C

youtube: 75-80C

2. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Mac OSX does not deal with flash videos very well, as all youtube videos are in .fla format. This just make the GPU/CPU usage spike and makes the computer very hot. Download smcfancontrol and you can raise the minimum fan speed to help make the computer cooler while you are watching youtube videos or doing other resource intensive operations.

The macbook pro does have its own network card. It's called an Airport card.

3. fpnc macrumors 68000

You're seeing a "problem" with Flash (Adobe's video format) that is used on YouTube and a good number of other internet sites. It has nothing to do with the network control by the CPU. In any case, the MacBook does contain ethernet/wireless network chips so the CPU isn't being burdened by these functions.

4. André M thread starter macrumors member

Oh, its just that? Hm, could've sworn my older macbooks didnt run as hot when surfing youtube. Well then I can probably put my worries to rest then, just wondered if there was something wrong, hardware wise with my mac.

Thanks for answering.

5. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

I'm pretty sure this is normal. Flash on OS X isn't the greatest and is very CPU intensive. From what I've read on here and from my own experience, 80C seems like it's an OK, albeit uncomfortable, temp.
    You can install SMCFanControl and set your fan to a higher speed to keep temps down.

6. Markbook macrumors newbie

Pah! MBP newbs! I have the old MBP 15inch 80C is nothing, you have achieved something when it auto-shuts down at 95C, ha ha! I don't know about the new ones but 80C is pretty common for me. Have you tried elevating it I sat mine on some DVD's until I got rubber feet.

7. André M thread starter macrumors member

Well, considering my mac idles at about 45-50C and then it spikes to about 80C when just watching youtube from idling, I get kinda worried.

But yes, i've tried elevating it, lowers the temps by a few degrees but nothing major.

8. shrimpdesign macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign