Macbook Pro 13, Thinkpad T400s, X301

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mistax, Sep 30, 2009.

1. mistax macrumors member

I've done some researching around and on the macrumor forums about the mbp 13 and the thinkpad and im still unsure of which to get.

Im currently a student and i plan on using this laptop through out my 4 year of college before replacing or upgrading it.

Things i need
    Battery Life/ Portability mainly

Thing i could use on the side would be run a couple of light games like Aion or Wow and some light autocad/Photoshop.

One of the things that put the macbook pro ahead for me is that it is immensely cheaper than the other 2.

2. caonimadebi macrumors regular

The laptops you have listed are obviously very different machines. However there are a few criteria that should make your decision easier.
    1. Are you a Mac or PC person? Each platform offers many choices that can suit your needs, but it's important to know which OS you prefer. If you have your mind set on the PC platform, buying the 13" MBP to run boot camp is plain foolish, because you'll likely spend more than you need to
    2. Is portability your top priority? If it is you should really look at a Macbook Air for Mac, and the X301 for the PC. MBP's or the Thinkpad T-series aren't known for their portability
    3. Is battery life your top priority? If it is you should only look at the Macbook Pro's for a Mac, and the T/X series with an extended battery. Be ready to pack the extra weight
    4. Is gaming an important part of your computer experience? If it is you should really consider a laptop with dedicated graphics. None of the computer you have listed carry dedicated graphics (although MBP's 9400M stands out from the pack, in terms of graphical performance)
    5. Is this laptop going to be your only computer? If it is you should consider getting a large screen (15"+), lots of USB ports, built-in optical drive, and lots of video output formats.

hope this helps

3. mistax thread starter macrumors member

1. I've used both mac and windows OS and i love using the mac interface for photoshop and alot of the creative suite and etc. But at the same time mac doesn't support Onenote and a few other stuff that window does so i was indeed going to bootcamp Win7 and Snow Leopard.
    2. Portability is up there. The Mac is about 4.5lb / the X301 depending on configuration is anywhere from 2.5-3 ( includes the extra battery / and the T400s is roughly almost 4lb. There the X200 which is 2.2lb. I didn't list the air because if im going to spend as much as the x300 series i might as well get everything in one. Since i feel that the air lacks alot when it trys to lose weight.
    3. Yes battery life is one of the main things I'm looking for the MBP has splendid battery about 5 and a half hour on average. The t400s i need a chunky battery. The x301 though has the option of taking out it optic bay for another battery which keeps it as it normal dimension and adding a couple of ounces on.
    4. Gaming not so important - Since i have a full size desktop when i need to do anything intensive as rendering or doing alot of gaming.
    5. For now it will be my school laptop and what not. But i plan to be able to use it later when i transfer schools. I believe i will be dragging my monitor and what not with me so i perfer the laptop to still be light and portable away from the dorm

4. caonimadebi macrumors regular

Beware of the quoted weight and the actual traveling weight. The X301, with its maxed-out battery configuration, is close to the 3.4lb. The x200, with the 9-cell battery, is 3.6lb and neither has an optical drive. The X200 and T400s are competitive against the 13" MBP, because they have comparable processors and still win in the portability aspect. X301, on the other hand, makes significant sacrifice in performance with its ULV processor.
    On another note, I think upgrading to an SSD will be the most noticeable improvement you will appreciate. Whatever your budget is, you should consider setting aside $200-$300 for the SSD upgrade.

5. mistax thread starter macrumors member

the x301 does have an optical drive. it weigh in @ 3.3 with the 6 Cell and the drive or the 6 cell and the bay battery.

6. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Portability go MBA all the way. With 2.13 GHz and 128 GB SSD, it will fly through common tasks... HOWEVER, if you're talking Photoshop and CAD you better go with something a hell of a lot more powerful than an x301??? Why would you go so drastic between your selections? I mean the ultimate portability is the MBA and it's more powerful than your x301?

Anyways, of what you have selected for options, you cannot beat the MBP which will run OS X Snow Leopard AND Windows 7. Will be fine for four years of school as long as you're not a CAD/Engineering type student... in which case I would advise you to seriously consider the 15" MBP with 9600 GT dedicated graphics. Heck, you can get it refurbished for the 4 GB Max Express Card version unibody for $1249 USD. That price is hard to beat with a full year warranty and dedicated graphics too.

Consider the refurbished Macs, they are literally new in most cases and anything touched seems to be replaced for open box returns as most claim better quality control for refurbished than brand new. At $999 you can get the 13" MBP, $1349 MBA with 1.86/128 GB SSD, and $1249 the 2.4 GHz 15" Unibody MBP with Express Card slot. Battery is better on the new ones, but the Express Card slot is worth a fortune to those who need expansion.

Best wishes with your new computer and school.

7. mistax thread starter macrumors member

poeey. I don't really have a basis against either windows or mac but seem like everyone pointing me at apple macbook over a windows computer because well it a mac. =( doesn't help me much. I looked at a Macbook because it Small/Compact/For the price it probably the best packaged 13inch with student discount/Boot Camp. It has me up in the air since the macbook is amazing for the 1100 and the extra 150 for ram and hd upgrade. But the thinkpad series also offer some utilies and other things apple doesn't in term of ruggedness/security options/ mobile use.

8. mmmr macrumors newbie

hi,

Because i'm facing the exact same dicision I was wondering across the net and found this thread.

It's been a couple of months since the first post; what did you (mistax) decide? Or maybe anyone else has more to say about X301 vs MacPro 13"?

X301/thinkpad gives alot in terms of design, but the price is way up there. MacPro is light and has grafic and other specifications that are interesting.

I guess it's a very personal thing, but it would be nice to hear from somebody who can explain their reasoning in this choice.

thanks,

9. mmmr macrumors newbie

really nobody that has some ideas about this?

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Firstly, based on the specs, I'm actually a bigger fan of the X201 (or X201s), which offers more than the 13" MBP in terms of specs, but with a worse video card. I'd love one, but OS X currently outweighs hardware specs. :eek:

And if you're a bit rough with your equipment, I'd trust Lenovo's construction and durability over the 13" MBPs. The water spill-guard my brother has on his T400 has saved his ass once when water suddenly dripped from the ceiling and onto his keyboard, which then caused my startled brother to accidentally spill some of his water onto it as well. :rolleyes:

It also feels far more solid than my Mac. :eek:

11. mmmr macrumors newbie

Abstract, thanks for your reply.

If I would be truly honest I know I don't need a laptop with the specifications of an entry mbp 13". But it's cheaper than the x301 and mostly fits my demands that I initially stated for my new laptop..

I don't really care for the image around apple (fancy stuff and everything mostly is setting me off) but i would like to have a mac for the software and compatibility. Then again, the quality of thinkpad is what I can't seem to forget :eek:

Ghehe, maybe it's best I can't make up my mind just yet, with all those rumors about the new mbp's coming soon :rolleyes: