Macbook Pro 13 trackpad failed three times

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spamdavy, May 2, 2010.

1. spamdavy macrumors newbie

Hello,

My trackpad has failed for the third time after replacement each time. I purchased the MBP in August and the trackpad stopped registering clicks after the second month of use. I had the trackpad replaced by an Apple store and it also failed after about two months of use. The trackpad was again replaced by an authorized Apple dealer but it failed again after two months.

Each time it fails, the same symptoms occur. 1) Clicking becomes erratic for several minutes and then stops working altogether. 2) Everything else like tapping and cursor tracking still works. 3) The length of life for each trackpad is always around two months.

As a student, it is extremely difficult to find time to leave my MBP in the shop for 5 days. As a result, I've been using a broken trackpad for about the same amount time I've had a fully functional trackpad.

What should I do? I seem to have a lemon. Is there a replacement policy for this?

Thanks,
    davy

2. Balaamsdonkey macrumors 6502

Is the computer under warranty? If so I would get a small logitech wireless mouse. A laser one where you could use anything as a surface. I would use that until you had time to send it in, or to ask for a replacement.

3. JustinBW macrumors member

I thought after 3 hardware failures for the same issue, apple would give you a replacement. If I was you I would ask for one. 3 times in such a short time span seems like something is up with your mbp.

4. migsev macrumors regular

They're pretty firm about 3 major parts needing repair before they replace the entire unit. Call them up and appeal your case though. If its the same part every single time, they might reconsider.