MacBook Pro 13" unexpected shutdowns

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by RyanPatrick, Jan 13, 2011.

1. RyanPatrick macrumors newbie

I bought a new 13" MacBook Pro in June 2010, and just the last few days it has begun shutting down unexpectedly. Sometimes it will stay on for five or ten minutes, others maybe 45 seconds. I already ran the Apple Hardware check and it said nothing was wrong, so I have no idea now. Any help?

Thanks for any responses in advance.

2. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

It is probably a faulty logic board. Since you got it in June, it is still under the original 1yr warranty. Take it in to the genius bar and explain the issues to the genius whom you speak with...

Also, you have the wrong forum... THis needs to go in the MBP hardware forum...

3. Mactrillionaire macrumors regular

Have you noticed any graphic anomalies while using the computer? If so, it is probably a logic board issue. Does the computer freeze or is power removed and the screen (and other things) go dark? Can you complete Extended Hardware Test without the computer shutting down? Have you noticed a pattern to the shut downs or does it seem to happen randomly? Answers to these questions can help determine if it is a logic board issue, overheating CPU, power supply issue or something else (although it is likely one of the first three).

4. RyanPatrick thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry I just wasn't sure where to start haha. But there has been nothing wrong with the graphics, at least as far as I can tell, and there aren't any problems with it freezing or going dark, at least until it shuts down anyway. I wasn't able to complete the extended hardware test. There is a bit of a pattern: it shuts down once, and if I try to turn it on again soon after, it takes much less time for it to shut down again. This might suggest overheating, but it doesnt feel all that warm when this happens.. From people I've talked to here, I've gotten suggestions such as faulty logic board or RAM. Making a trip to the Apple store in the morning so hopefully they know what to do

5. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Most likely RAM or Logic Board...or the liquid in the computer ;) just kidding. Not much else that'll cause that.

6. Mactrillionaire, Jan 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2011

Mactrillionaire macrumors regular

Sounds like the computer is not cooling properly, although it could also be the power supply. I would recommend having the people at the Apple store check the system fan and power supply. A conclusive way to tell if it is one or the other is to buy some thermal paste (see http://www.amazon.com/Ocztfrztc-Extreme-Thermal-Conductivity-Compound/dp/B00128TA78 for an example of what I am talking about) and apply it to the CPU. If it takes longer to shut down than before you applied the thermal paste then the problem is improper cooling and the fan should be replaced; otherwise, you should usually just replace the power supply. If replacing the fan and power supply does not solve the issue then it is probably also time to have the logic board replaced.

Edit: One thing I am curious about is where the power supply is on this model. Is it in the heat sink?

7. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Umm there's no power supply inside of any portable computer these days. Not for a long long long time.

There are batteries and AC Adapters that come with every portable computer.

8. Mactrillionaire macrumors regular

I looked through more of the tear down information and it appears you are right. So, this issue should likely be resolved by replacing the fan(s) and then the logic board if replacing the fan(s) doesn't help.