Macbook pro 13 unibody won't start & red light in the jack

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Philsxm, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Philsxm, Jun 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2013

Philsxm macrumors newbie

My macbook pro unibody (I believe mid 2009) won't start, it is off, shut down, is off power and not plugged into the magsafe charger but I still have a red light inside the audio jack.... I tried to check the battery level power, no green led comes up at all, so I assume the battery is empty (but how and why I still have a red light in the jack?) This is weird!... I tried to plug in the magsafe to charge it and no light on the charger either... I tried to reset smc, everything, tried option command R P power button press etc .. nothing... still off and still red light in audio jaclk ( I tried the toothpick stuff and didn't worked either).. So it seems that I hit a big problem with my mac, is there anybody who would know and could help? is my mac dead?????:confused::(

2. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

There is definitely something wrong with the power circuitry. What makes it strange is that the power and the red light are 2 separate things that can't really interfere with each other.

The red light means that the optical audio switch has been flipped. It occasionally will get stuck, but has no influence on powering the device.

3. Philsxm thread starter macrumors newbie

which is why I am extremly confused.... ok, here is another question then, beside the fact I can't power on my computer, is it normal that while the computer is turned off and not on power, the red light would still on???? I would think "no" but of course and obviously I know very little about mac

4. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Inside the headphone jack is a tiny switch that switches between analog(line out or headphone) and digital(optical) audio. The only time that light should be on is when an optical jack is plugged into it. If it's on now then that tiny switch is stuck. You can MAYBE get it unstuck by pulling the cotton off a Q-Tip and jamming it in and jerking it out of the jack a few times.

BUT that doesn't solve the bigger more pressing issue.

5. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

What is the history? Did this occur of the blue, water, drop?