MacBook Pro 13" Upgrade to 160GB SSD Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tz8, Dec 22, 2009.

1. tz8 macrumors newbie

I recently purchased the Intel X25-M 160GB SSD to replace the generic 240GB harddrive that came with my 13" MacBook Pro.

What I tried to do is copy the entire harddrive to the SSD via the disk utility "Restore" function.

I restarted and booted from the installation CD so the main drive would not be in use. The SSD is connected via USB.

Unfortunately when I try to copy the content over, I get an error message that the SSD does not have enough space available. I find that odd because I am only using 104GB of the 240GB Harddrive and the SSD has 160GB available.

Am I doing something wrong here? It seemed to work when I did the exact same thing i.e. with the disk utility from within the OS... but because it said something with 6 hours duration, I though it might be faster if it was done without the main drive in use.

Any suggestions?

2. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Fresh install on SSD, then use the Migration Tool.

3. roliath macrumors regular

roliath

werd
    its very painless, and easy to do

4. tz8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok... I can only use the migration with a firewire drive or not?

Unfortunately I can only connect the SSD via USB.

Or should I buy a firewire external harddrive and copy everything on to that, then put in the SSD and copy it back?

Do I have to do a fresh install? Isn't everything automatically copied over including the OS?

Won't I run in to the "Insufficient Disk Space" problem again?

I was expecting it to be easy and painless but for some reason it's not.

Thanks for your help :)

5. outZider macrumors member

You can use the migration tool over USB. The error you're running into is because of the 'erase destination' feature, Apple assumes that you have the same size disk /or larger/ to be able to do it. Your options are either a fresh install on the SSD and the migration tool, or download a copy of Carbon Copy Cloner. It's slower than Disk Utility, but should work for your purposes just fine.

6. tz8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for he info outZider

So what if I uncheck the "Erase Destination" feature... would it work then?

When you say fresh install you mean installing Snow Leopard on the SSD and then copying everything over from the harddrive?

Can I do a fresh install on the SSD via USB or does it have to be the main drive in the laptop?

Sorry for all these questions :-(

7. pol259 macrumors newbie

The easiest possible method (tried my self when moving from 160 GB HDD to 128 Gb SSD):
    - connect the SSD via USB
    - use SuperDuper! to copy all content to new drive
    - switch the drives ( !!!!! remember about the electrostatic discharge ESD !!!! )
    - clean the PRAM and NVRAM when you change the drives (in my case the boot took ages on SSD until I have cleaned them)

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

Enjoy ...