Macbook Pro 13" upper case replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macarc, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Macarc macrumors newbie

I need to replace the upper case off my 2010 13" macboock pro. (sticking keyboard). I have looked up the instructions and I feel comfortable doing it myself. However, ifixit want $300 for a used case. Does anyone know where I can buy one for less.

Thanks

2. Macarc thread starter macrumors newbie

No takers? Ok I'll try to be a bit clearer about what I need. This is the part in question.
    Anyone know where I can find one cheaper? New if possible.

3. pricej636 macrumors 6502

4. GlynJones macrumors 6502

Have a look on ebay. I find it the best place to get used parts.

5. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

It`s expensive but actually doesn`t look to be a bad price for a full top-case with trackpad/keyboard.
    Another vote foe ebay but Apple stuff tends to be overpriced there too.

Good luck with the transplant btw. :)

6. Macarc thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advise.

I ended up getting a brand new upper case in a sealed apple box for $270 from ebay. There were also several used ones for about $150, but it felt safer to get a brand new one.

Thanks again.

7. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Please do post back and let us know how the operation goes.

8. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

If you have a sticky keyboard why don't you just try cleaning the keys with some isopropyl alcohol, with some q tips, while the computer is off.
    There is no problem as long as you let it dry for 2 days to be safe.
    It's a lot cheaper to try this first if you don't want to spend that much money. It only costs like $3. :)

9. Macarc thread starter macrumors newbie

Well the sticky keys was caused by a wine spill. They are sticky to the point that some of them are unusable (especially in cold environments). I think that the wine has penetrated far into the depths of the keyboard and it is the sugar residue that is making the keys stick.

Is it possible to remove the keys by pulling them up? Is this how you suggest I clean them?

10. JohnWolf macrumors newbie

I would be very interested in the wine soaked case you described. I need a new case as I just dropped my laptop. I work in a lab and should be able to wash away the wine with alcohol, acetic acid, acetone, and/or n-hexane. Please no one try anything other then alcohol outside of a fume hood. Anyways if you would be will to mail me the case I would greatly appreciate it and would be fully willing to make it worth your wile.