Macbook Pro 13" V. Macbook Pro 15" (I know nothing about computers! Help!)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lemon24, Jun 12, 2011.

1. lemon24, Jun 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2011

lemon24 Guest

Hello,

I am in need of some major advice on getting a computer. I do not know if I should go with a 13" or 15". I am not knowledgeable about any of the hardware stuff.:confused: I need a computer with a long battery life, that can multitask. I often have many windows open, I am always online with many tabs open. I make movies and I know those take up space. I also take A LOT of pictures and upload them all to my computer, I do a lot of editing on them. Both the movies and photos end up taking up a lot of space, and that slows down my computer, even when trying to write a paper. I need advice on what the best computer for me would be. I am willing to get any of the 13" or any of the 15", and I do not know what processor, memory, or hard drive to get. I need all the advice I can get! Thank you!! :D

2. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

First of all you posted in the wrong section. This is the Mac Pro, not the Macbook Pro section.

As for your question. All of them can handle it, but for your use. I would recommend a 15" MBP. That'll give you the screen size and power that you need. As for ram, you can upgrade yourself that afterwards for cheaper. The harddrive you have to decide if you want a regular HDD or SSD. SSDs are gonna be quicker but you're limited to space.

3. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

You will do well with either in terms of space, but the 15" will offer more screen real estate for your movie editing. If that is something you do a lot, I would go with a 15".

4. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

As for your question. All of them can handle it, but for your use. I would recommend a 15" MBP. That'll give you the screen size and power that you need. As for ram, you can upgrade yourself that afterwards for cheaper. The harddrive you have to decide if you want a regular HDD or SSD. SSDs are gonna be quicker but you're limited to space.

5. lemon24 thread starter Guest

What is a Serial ATA Drive? Is that something different?

6. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

Not really, I believe it's just the type of connector on the hard drive.

7. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Basically a normal hard drive that rotates either at 5400 or 7200 rpm.
    SSD is a flash drive that is way faster than HDD but costs more.

8. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Since you do a lot of video editing/ photo so I recommend the 15" MBP with 2.0GHz i7 with 4GB or RAM. If you want your computer to be faster, you can add a SSD drive which costs way more ore you can settle off on a 750GB HDD with 5400rpm.

9. lemon24, Jun 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2011

lemon24 thread starter Guest

The 13" are Dual-core and the 15" are Quad-core. . is there a big difference? And for my personal uses of movies and photography and multitasking, is one better than the other?

As I am looking at the apple store online I can only find the 15" MBP with 2.0GHz i7 to have 500 GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm. Would that still work? Or would it be worth the extra $400 to get the 15" MBP with 2.2GHz i7 and the 750 GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm

10. yusukeaoki, Jun 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2011

yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

oh Yes! There is a huge difference!
    I would prefer the 15in quad core although if you don't think you need that much power, 13in dual core is fine i guess.
    But remember more CPU power means faster multitasking and video editing and all that.

Thats only in the tech spec. If you go to buy now, you can get more options.
    Here the link: http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MC721LL/A?mco=MjEyOTY5MDM

11. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Select the 15-inch: 2.0 GHz model and just upgrade the hard drive to either:
    500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm (same storage, faster speed)
    or
    750GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm (more storage, same speed)

From what you've said, it'll be perfect for your needs.