Macbook pro 13" vs 15" assistance...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Reazin, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Reazin macrumors newbie

Hello, I will try to make this as concise as possible.

I am essentially a rookie with computers, (especially mac) however I plan to learn all required tech skills to be able to produce my own music as well as create & edit my own videos. I will be starting off with video editing & will be creating music videos as well as educational videos and mini skit videos likely to be placed on places like youtube which would range between 3-10 mins each. Eventually I want to move into the music producing aspect meaning I will need a computer that is capable of sustaining both tasks with no difficulty. Now my inquiry regarding the 13" & 15" comparison is as follows...

Is video editing of the nature I have described recommended for a 13" screen? I have heard it is not good to do video editing on a screen so small however, once again I am not trying to make feature length films... At the same time will have a 15" monitor really make that much difference? (read second last paragraph before answering)

I will not want to have to buy another computer for at least 3-4 years after picking one of these up... a 13" dual core processor with 2.3GHz processor will not be good for as long as a 15" Quad core with a 2.0GhZ + processor especially if software requirements keep increasing which in the future they most certainly will (correct me if I'm wrong as this is merely an assumption)... If true how long do you think each laptop will be able to keep up for?

I will be doing minor things with photo shop here & there as well, I definitely need to be able to photo edit & video edit on the go if I am to hope to improve & learn fast enough to become truly skilled in learning the tricks of each trade. I know I can use an external monitor for when I'm home if I have a 13" but seeing as I will be using it on the move a lot, this is an important factor in my decision which again ties into the first point made.

Please if anyone has knowledge that or points that could be useful to help me figure out which machine I should aim to pick up please post & your assistance will be GREATLY appreciated.

2. VMMan macrumors 6502a

If you can afford them, a MBP 15" or 17" with their quad-core i7 and discrete GPU will be more future-proof.

New MBPs with Ivy Bridge may be out as early as April 2012.

3. snazzyiphoneguy macrumors member

you can easily find the answer t o the 13 vs 15 by usng the search function

there ar hundreds of threads on it

why did u not look it up?

4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

15'' and a 20'' or larger external monitor

would an iMac be an option? You didn't say whether it needs to be portable.

5. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

How did the fact that the OP failed to search the forum affect you in any way?

You "search button" cops crack me up. :D

6. lippyt macrumors member

Definitely the case. The higher res, bigger screen would do wonders in photoshop or your video editing app.

The high resolution upgrade is highly recommended. I believe many video encoders are multi-threaded, so this lends further favor to the doubling of thread count in the 15".

But if you see yourself as a dilettante or a hobbyist in these two skills, perhaps getting a 13" is enough.

7. Reazin thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I need something that is portable, so unfortunately the Imac is not an option.

Thanks this is very useful advice.

This is also really helpful. I will be spending countless hours trying to perfect each craft so I would definitely say the 15" will be necessary. Big ideas on the go & I'd much rather be able to rely on myself as the tech to have it happen rather then others. I'm going to learn as much as possible before I go to school for these things.