Macbook Pro 13" vs 15" for college advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by grod44, Nov 17, 2014.

1. grod44 macrumors newbie

OK I know the new school year isn't exactly around the corner but some of you may be in the market for a new Macbook pro be it a 13" or 15" and your wondering which one to buy? well let me give you a little of advice from me and all these other 13" macbook users i'm sitting around here in the library.
    I personally have a mid 13" macbook pro retina 512ssd and whatever else the specs may be. Let me start by saying I love it, it has been nothing but great to me. The only downside is when doing what a lot of other people are doing next to me and near me here in the campus library is fixing a word document or having to site from a internet page or simply fix a revised essay and look at the corrections side by side. Well when you have to minimize each screen so you can have both on the screen at the same time it gets very small and for the dude sitting next to me is like squinting 8" away from the screen haha. But yes I wanted the 13" so it can be more "portable" and weigh less while in the back pack. But when it comes down to the nitty gritty and being productive and actually finishing assignments and doing homework on my macbook I wish I would have purchased the 15" rather than the 13". But hey you live and learn right... So maybe i'll sell my macbook 13" come new year and invest in a 15" macbook pro!!! Because it does get old... looking at a tiny screen to do homework and i've seen someone with a 15" macbook pro and it makes a difference when you have to stare at the screen and do work for a long time. Again this is jus my personal opinion and wanted to pass along the knowledge i've gained from using mine. And on another note. I remember when having a big laptop anything bigger than 15" was like carrying a car in your backpack. Not necessarily the case anymore being that apple has such slim and light designs.

2. sebseb macrumors 6502

sebseb

I have a 15" MBP and I consider the 13" not usable! it's small but a 15" is not that big. There's been times that I switch between apps or desktops when I'm typing. However to answer your question, yes I think 15" is better!

3. Ann P macrumors 68020

Macbook Pro 13" vs 15" for college advice

If you can lug it around, why not? The 15" doesn't feel relatively heavy but it just takes up a lot of space. I use my friend's 15" rMBP often and nothing beats the retina or the screen estate. Ended up with the MBA because it fits right into my notebook, lol. Good luck.

4. grod44 thread starter macrumors newbie

Agreed!!!! I just gotta do some research and see how much my MacBook Pro is worth on the hard market! It's 13" mid2013 with 512ssd but I'm gunna wait for my tax return to cover the rest of the cost

5. orion10 macrumors newbie

I also have a 13 in. I solved this by buying a 28 inch monitor to use at home. Way cheaper than upgrading at the moment.