MacBook Pro 13" vs 15"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by overthewater, Aug 11, 2014.

1. overthewater macrumors newbie

I am about to start university and I am considering getting a new MBP. I currently have a 15" 2011 model (2.4 GHz, 4gb ram) and while it works great, I'd like to have a newer laptop, preferably something lighter for carrying to class. It will mostly be used for typing notes/homework, maybe homework in an introductory computer programming course, and possibly future undergraduate-level computer programming related courses in the future. I know a 13" would be easier to carry, but I just bought an expensive laptop bag/purse for a 15" mbp, not sure if that's a petty hesitation as it would still fit in there. Which would you recommend for what I would use it for? Also, would I need a 2.4 GHz or 2.6? Are there going to be any newer models this fall or are the 2014 models already out?

2. leman macrumors 604

Performance-wise, it does not matter what you get. Any Apple laptop post 2012 (including the MBA) will offer more capability than you need.

So its about money and preference. I don't think we can give you any recommendations here. If money is not a problem, sure, get the 15".

3. nostresshere macrumors 68030

You might want to scroll down the page and read one of the 28 same type threads that have been asked over the past week.

Yes, they did a slight update recently.

Not sure if you really are going to get much of an upgrade.

4. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

5. Nueve macrumors member

I don't think there will be another release until early next year. I just bought the 15 inch" with an Ethernet adapter with the student discount for around 2,530. I'd definitely choose the 15 inch over the 13 inch, you can't go wrong with either, go down to an apple store and try them out.