Macbook Pro 13'' vs 15''

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by imrahil, Dec 21, 2014.

1. imrahil macrumors newbie

Hey, I'm about to buy a new retina MBP. My choices are:

1)13'', 2.8GHz Dual i5, 16GB ram, 512GB flash storage
    2)15'', 2.2GHz Quad i7, 16GB ram, 256GB flash storage

The price is basically the same. I can't afford more than this.

I intend to use this for general school/work purposes. The heaviest software I will probably use is Photoshop (light work), MATLAB and maybe some industrial simulation software. I do a little bit of gaming as well (minecraft mainly), but I'm not a gamer at all.

What do you guys suggest?
    Thanks

2. Praesto macrumors regular

Based on your use, both will be sufficient.

So the real question here is - Screen Real Estate vs. SDD Real Estate.

3. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

While the 13" may be fine, the bigger screen of the 15" will provide for less eye strain and easier to edit in Photoshop. You can use an external drive to store your work - especially your photos, since Photoshop PSD's can take up a lot of space.

4. acctman macrumors 6502a

acctman

If you want portability go with the 13" ... At home or office you can always setup and external screen. I personally run two 22" screens in my home office with my 13" rMBP. If you can visit a Apple store and see a 13" and 15" in person...

It comes down to what you're comfortable with. I'm a programmer and love working on a 13" screens where as other programmers will swear by demand that a 15" be the minimum screen size. Get what works for you, and not what is popular.

5. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

This is the question - answer it and you have your answer :)

6. ABC5S macrumors 68040

Purchased than upgraded my 13 inch Pro for a 15 inch a few months later for the added real estate. I have older eyes that needed the larger screen

7. imrahil thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Praesto macrumors regular

With 16 GB Ram and an SSD in both, the speed for your instance is negligible.

Both are very popular machines.

9. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Another vote for the 15" - the extra screen space far outweighs the greater storage of the 13". And there are a lot of external storage solutions that are much less expensive than bumping the storage on the 15" to 512 GB.

10. TechZeke, Dec 22, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2014

TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

The only thing the 13" has going for it is the portability and SSD space. 15" gives you screen real estate, significantly more CPU power and significantly more GPU power.

Personally, my vote is for the 15". Considering the whole package, once you spec up the 13" at that point the 15" offers more bang for the buck.(Only because the 512 SSD is so expensive)

With that said, for your use case, the power difference is moot.