MacBook Pro. 13" vs 15"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mizap, Apr 4, 2010.

1. mizap macrumors newbie

I'm thinking about switching over to the dark side and becoming a Mac. I need to decide what I want by the end of May. At first, I was debating between a MacBook and PC. Now I've thrown in the possibility of a MacBook Pro. What are your guys' opinions on all 3 of my options? Specifically I'd like to know the differences between the MacBook Pro 13" and 15". And also the MacBook and MacBook Pro.
    I'll mostly be using the notebook to work on school stuff, reading power point lecture notes, writing essays, surfing the web, storing a crap load of pictures etc. Nothing to big. Suggestions?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Screensize and weight is all subjective.

When do you plan on buying, because that will make a difference as there could be an update relatively soon.

Here comes the mroogle rants.

3. Coldmode macrumors regular

I've never been able to use a laptop smaller than 15", but for your purposes the lowest end MacBook with an upgraded HDD will probably be fine.

Look at the apple.com store for the differences. On the buy pages they list all the different configurations for your viewing pleasure ;).

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Sounds like the MacBook will fit your needs just fine. And do stop by the refub store to save 15%-ish.

5. mizap thread starter macrumors newbie

Everyone is telling me to wait until the end of June to see if they have any of the special offers they did last summer. What do you mean by "update?"

6. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

This one: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook_Pro

They seem to have the free ipod deal every summer.

Oh, and switching to Apple is switching to the "light" side, not the dark. Going to a PC is switching to the "dark" side.

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

An update in June wouldn't be shocking. Given the importance of the EDU market, it would seem odd that Apple would go an entire year without updating their notebook line outside of the MacBook.

8. mizap thread starter macrumors newbie

So do updates affect the prices at all?

9. mizap thread starter macrumors newbie

I've been an HP lover all my life, which really hasn't been that long haha, so its more like the dark side to me. =]

10. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I don't have the magical ball lying around. I would guess that it doesn't affect price points of the line-up. The current models will drop in price by simple logic.

11. mizap thread starter macrumors newbie

Any idea what kind of updates would be made? Will they be worth the wait??

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The latter portion of that is completely subjective. Do I think we are going to see a 3D screen - probably not.

13. mizap thread starter macrumors newbie

It may have been subjective, but I'm just trying to get some opinions. Lol @ 3D screens, no need for sarcasm kid I'm just curious.

14. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Know one really knows, its just an educated guess.

Obvious: faster processor, more storage better video. Prices tend to stay the same.

So lets say today you can buy a 15" MBP with a 2.53 C2D, 250 gig drive and 9400M for $1700. When they update, for the same $1700 you might get a 3.06 C2D, 320 gig drive and 9600M. Or something along those lines. But the price wont drop.

15. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

One never knows about price- didn't they just drop the MacBook price as well as the iMac's low price? Maybe I am mistaken.

Me- I used a 13" iBook and 13" MacBook for a couple of years each. Now I have a 15 MacBook Pro and completely love it. I mostly use the computer on the couch so complete portability was not that important. It is not huge by any means, but not as small and portable as the 13's.

I went with the MBP because of the battery life (at the time it was better- but now no different than MacBooks) I also like the backlit keyboard since I use it while watching tv most nights. I also like the better speaker sound on the MBP's. Plus the larger screen is just awesome~