MacBook Pro 13" vs 2.0 GHz 15" vs 2.2 GHz 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sean1218, May 22, 2011.

1. Sean1218, May 22, 2011
    Last edited: May 22, 2011

Sean1218 macrumors member

I've read a lot of threads on the topic, but am still undecided.

It will be my primary (and only) computer, and if possible, I'd like it to last my four years of university.

My uses for it consists of simple website browsing (facebook, youtube, forums, research etc.), watching TV/movies and listening to music. I'm also interested in very light gaming; just occasional counterstrike and single-players in the likes of portal and half-life, or any other single-players that may interest me.

In addition, it'll be used for music sequencing/production through logic and ableton (I'm most concerned with this as I've seen people hitting the limits of their PC even with the 15" with 20+ tracks).

I'd go with the 13" if it could handle all this well because of portability and price, but I have my doubts. I'm fine with the size of the 15" as well, but the 13" would just be simpler to deal with. I'll be using a 27" at home, so size is only relevant when I'm out (in a lecture, at the library, at a friends' place, etc).

I'm also not sure of the sound situation with each model. Are there any differences in this area? Will one be able make use of my (high-quality) headphones any easier/better?

Could I get by with a lower end 13" (I'm not paying +$300 for high end 13")? What about the lower-end 15"? I'll get $200 off the higher end 15" and $100 off the lower end, so there will only be a $300 price differential.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. KwanMan macrumors regular

3. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

For your uses the 13" will work fine if you are ok with playing games on low settings. The low end 15" will be better for gaming, but I still wouldn't consider it a gaming machine.

There are no sound differences, but the 13" uses a single input for audio in/out whereas the 15" has two separate ports.

To be honest if it comes down to wanting to play games you are going to be better off buying an xbox, ps3, or building a dedicated windows computer and gaming with that and going with the 13" because it's going to be a lot cheaper.

4. Sean1218 thread starter macrumors member

You think the 13" will still be fine while running 20-30+ tracks in logic along with plugins (such as massive) open? It can get pretty cpu intensive. If i went with the 13", I would be going with the low end model.

5. VMicelli macrumors newbie

i want a new notebook, and i was looking toward Macbook Pro 15' low end
    or
    a sony vaio, that new F-series with 3D.

The differences between them are only the vga : the sony has 1gb and the MBP has only 256mb :(

the price : vaio is cheaper but certainly no good builty as mbp is.

All opnions will be great.

thank guys.

6. lil' brudder macrumors 6502

hijacking threads is generally unappreciated by the OP, not to mention you are more likely to get help in your own thread.

To the OP, how much work will you be doing with logic while you are on the go?

7. Sean1218 thread starter macrumors member

Probably not a whole lot. I might decide to work in the library or common room, but I'd probably be most comfortable just working at home, and I don't imagine I'd get much done anywhere else.