MacBook Pro 13" vs. Alienware m11x (Revision 3)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lastsaneman47, Jun 28, 2011.

1. lastsaneman47 macrumors newbie

So I have a question for the fine people of the buyer's guide forum:

For uses like CS5, heavy web browsing, movie editing, gaming, and MS office.

Would you recommend that I buy:

Sandy Bridge MPB (2.3GHz, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Intel HD3000)

Alienware m11x (Sandy Bridge 1.7GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Intel HD3000 + Nvidia GeForce GT540m w/ 2GB VRAM)?

My budget is about $1,400 and from what I hear, the Alienware is a DAMN fine machine. Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions? I have a MB right now, and the programs I would need alternatives for would be iMovie and Garageband (I have CS5 and am a fast learner, BTW). Does anyone with this machine have any thoughts?

The fact that it's Windows doesn't bother me at all, I'm really trying to find out if alternative programs exist on the PC...

Any help is appreciated.

2. Xerozen macrumors newbie

Personal Experiences...

I owned an Alienware back in 2004- Their customer service and craptacular hardware made me want to pull my hair out. I reformatted that particular machine at LEAST a dozen times. I ended up selling it and buying a tower instead, in 2007- however- i swore i would never buy a laptop again after that.

But I am happy to say that I own an 11.6 MacBook Air (2010) and LOVE IT!

Since I owned an Alienware, AW was bought up by DELL, and personally- everytime I have dealt with DELL, their service is very similar. Shoddy at best. My current tower I built myself and runs circles around the Dellienware Machines easy. If I had a choice- I would go with Apple. They work with next to no issue, and when you buy yours- you'll have access to Lion, which on my machine runs great- I can't wait to own the real deal when it comes out next month.

Hope this helps you out.

Xerozen

3. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Beside that so so mobility GPU, Alienware gives u nuthin more. They should come with custom designed Alien OS but they're too lazy anyway and sell it with windows, wrapped on awkward chassis and LED for $1000 extra :p

For GPU and gaming, you can always rely on your tower desktop. That alienware still going to *pooof* whenever you games for few hours.

So i'd say go with Macbook Pro. Intel hd3000 is suprisingly fine for "Intel GPU"

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

since you mentioned gaming; alienware. that simple.

and that's not because it's alienware, it's because without a dedicated gpu in the 13'' pro, you won't be gaming very much. only casually, on low-end games.

i would suggest including a somewhat cheap external monitor (and optical drive if you need it) into your budget for more screen with your photo editing if the 11'' screen isn't enough for you. it's not necessary of course.

mx11 is a cool little computer.

5. The-Pro, Jun 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2011

The-Pro macrumors 65816

Well the m11x is a gaming machine. From the uses you described, gaming dosnt seem to be your priority!? the m11x is one hell of a portable power house, mainly in terms of GPU power. It lacks CPU power which you would need more than GPU.
    my opinion is get the MBP. As you are getting an SSD with it it will feel a lot quicker than if you get the Alienware. If you need to work when u are on the go, then the better battery life of the MBP will come in handy.

Cant help you with alternatives to garageband and iMovie

6. lastsaneman47 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies, guys... I'm mostly considering playing Portal (1+2) and maybe some Team Fortress 2... I think the HD3000 can run these games, but what do you guys think?

7. The-Pro macrumors 65816

I can run Portal 1 on the Intel HD graphics from my 15" MBP 2010, only on like medium settings though and not native resolution. So its acceptable. the Intel HD 3000 is way better than my Intel HD graphics so expect way better performance, but dont expect to be able to run at highest settings.

8. Lagmonster macrumors 6502

I sold my M11x. It was OK, but nothing special. Too heavy for what it is and I did not like the keyboard. If you want one, keep an eye out for the refrubs.