MacBook Pro 13" vs. Dual 2Ghz G5

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chacabuco74, Jun 15, 2009.

1. chacabuco74 macrumors newbie

Hi,

Ive been weighing moving my reliable but aging G5 into a studio space and picking up one of the new 13" MBP. Im wondering how the two machines would stack up. Most of the work I do is with Photoshop and Logic. The photoshop files are drum scans of 4x5 film so routinely get to about 600MBs. The G5 handles the files quite well. Occasionally I'll fire up Aperture, but it crawls. Not great on the powermacs I guess.

Am I going to see a drop in performance with the MBP? worth it to get a 15" with the dedicated graphics card or does that not matter with PS? Im using the stock ATI Radeon 9600 Pro card that came with my tower now, 3 GB of RAM.

Thanks for your advice

2. RGunner macrumors 6502a

RGunner

You will be totally shocked

I sold my Dual PowerMac 2.0GHz G5 for a core solo 1.5 Intel, the Intel was that good. Now that was for encoding and movie ripping...

Not only that, the power usage is cut by 1/8 or 1/10 by using a new Intel chip.

Just purchased a 2.4 MBP 15" (9600M GT), am totally pleased.

3. goMac macrumors 603

The only thing to be aware of is the hard drive performance would be better on your G5, but the processor in the MB will destroy your G5...