Macbook Pro 13" vs Macbook 12

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dljor, Dec 3, 2015.

1. dljor macrumors regular

So, I've been using a late 2013 Macbook Pro 13" since its release. It's been serving me well.

Would you recommend the new Macbook 12 over the current 13"? I heard the 13" hasn't been upgraded for a long time?

2. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

The current 13" retina MacBook Pro was updated earlier this year. If you're talking about the standard non-retina MacBook Pro, you're correct it hasn't been updated since 2012.

Nobody can tell you which one will suit your needs better without knowing what your needs are.

3. iceman42 macrumors regular

i would stay with your macbook pro.what do you do on ur macbook pro

4. David58117 macrumors 65816

What do you do with it?

If nothing intensive, I would definitely consider it. I made the switch from a 15" rMBP to the rMB and greatly enjoy the difference..

5. dljor thread starter macrumors regular

Mostly office, email, reading PDFs, browsing Internet. I have an iMac and some windows machines.

But if I get the MacBook, I can see myself using my iPad less. Or, not using the MacBook as much as I would like to believe. Should have bought the iPad mini, if I knew the MacBook would be this light.

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Two very different things but given your usage you could use an iPad for all of it.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Given your usage, the 13" MBP is fine for what you are using it for. The MacBook will be smaller, and lighter so that's a plus but at price, i.e., its expensive.

Have you thought about an iPad Pro for that usage scenario? You don't need a primary device but a secondary one and the iPad Pro may be something to consider.

8. dljor thread starter macrumors regular

iPad pro is so big. I don't think I'd be carrying it with me.

Will I see a shorter battery life if I switch to the 12". It's rated at 9hr , same as my late 2013 13" pro.

I should have gone the route with iPad mini + 12" MacBook ,
    I guess.

But when I bought my iPad Air 2, the MacBook was not out yet.

I want this new purchase to last me a few years. Will the 12" be fast enough for my trivial use three years down the road?

9. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Why do you want to change??

If it is because you are heavily mobile and need thin and light for all your day to day activities in multiple locations, then sure sell the rMBP and get a macbook it will serve you well for that use case indefinitely.

If it's because it's new and shiny don't bother get another year or so out of your rMBP and then think about changing.

If you want an ipad mini sell your ipad and buy a mini.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

its no bigger then the MacBook.

11. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

The 2015 rMBP is not so different to the 2013 to make an upgrade remotely worthwhile, especially given your use of it.

12. David58117 macrumors 65816

Why would you want a mini, if you're considering the rMB?

I say sell your air 2 and just use the similar sized, rMB.

In fact, I'm even considering going that route and returning the iPP...the rMB is just so portable and capable. Its making its way to being my favorite apple product..and I was a "who would want that!?" Observer, as well..

13. dljor thread starter macrumors regular

it has no touch screen! and don't run iOS!

14. dljor thread starter macrumors regular

I just have some money that will disappear after the end of the year.

15. snaky69 macrumors 603

Yes. You're barely using a tenth(if that) of the power of your computer at the moment. Even if the 12" is much less powerful, you'd be nowhere near pushing it.