Macbook Pro 13" vs. Macbook Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by nixon1, Dec 20, 2010.

1. nixon1 macrumors newbie

I'm not sure whether to get the Macbook Pro 13" or the Macbook Air, either 11" or 13".

Right now I use two laptops, an HP 15", and an Acer Aspire One 8.9" netbook. I use the netbook for almost everything, but I need to use Photoshop sometimes for my job (and for fun), and for this I have to drag around my big HP.

I have really gotten used to the portability and size of the netbook. Its only 2.3 pounds, and with the 8.9" screen, really small. I would like to get a Mac that can run Photoshop reasonably well, but that is not too much larger than my netbook.

So I guess I'm wondering how well can the Macbook Air run photoshop CS5?
    I also like the higher resolution of the Macbook Airs.

The three computers I am comparing are:

Macbook Pro 13"
    2.4GHz
    320GB hard drive
    4GB RAM
    $1144

Macbook Air 13"
    1.86GHz
    128GB SSD
    4GB RAM
    $1339

Macbook Air 11"
    1.6GHz
    128GB SSD
    4GB RAM
    $1329

My current two computers:
    HP dv5t
    2.53GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo
    250GB Hard drive
    3GB RAM
    Nvidia GeForce 9200M

Acer Aspire One 8.9"
    1.6Ghz Intel Atom
    160GB Hard drive
    1GB RAM

The Macbook Air 13" and 11" are essentially the same price, so I kind of feel its better to pay $10 more and get a faster processor.

I also value the SSD, as I have often had hard drive failures in laptops.

All three macs would be significantly faster than my netbook, but probably less powerful than my HP. The people at the Apple Store said that the Macbook Airs couldn't run photoshop very well, but online I have found that it can.

Any advice or comments?

Thank you.

2. Boston007 macrumors 6502

Boston007

I have to ask, how often and how extensive will you be using Photoshop?

I believe Photoshop is not a good fit for the Air. People will tell you otherwise but I don't buy it, especially if you are doing anything powerful in Photoshop.

Second, I think any purchasing decisions on a macbook pro 13" right now is BAD. New ones are JUST around the corner. UNLESS you desperately need a MBP 13" I would stay away and wait until the new ones come out.

If you will be doing extensive photoshop work, wait for the NEW MBP 13" and get that one. It will be much better suited to Photoshop

3. southnc macrumors member

2011 will bring significant changes to the all of the Mac computers. There is the new Sandy Bridge processor (and AMD processor), which seems ready-made for the MBA (GPU no longer required) and will provide much better performance for all Intel-based systems.

Regardless, if you can wait a bit, a new Macbook Pro will be coming soon that should be radically different and better than the current model. If your in a dilemma between the MB Pro and MBA and can wait, I would do just that.

Good luck.

4. size100 macrumors regular

Apple has no problem staying with old processors and hardware. Do you really think they will update the MBA so soon? We know MBP is guaranteed to be upgraded.

5. BENJMNS macrumors 6502

BENJMNS

not sure how many times one must type this: there is no comparison. the MBA is the present and the future. period. mbp, bye bye you've had your time but time is up.

6. southnc macrumors member

Good question.

I could see it happening by fall of 2011.

And consider this: In the case of the MBA, that will be a TWO generation processor jump, which should bring significant improvement in performance, etc. More importantly, the separate GPU will no longer be required, which means less heat, less weight, more battery life, and more space for whatever.

7. rpang macrumors member

It runs CS5 fine, unless you open tons of pics and do a mass edit, it can do it, but slowly. But for simple processes, such as clone stamping, color correction, noise reduction, etc., its more than capable.

I use my air for just backing up my pictures and viewing them when I travel. I don't do my main edits on them only because the screen is just too small to do serious edits.

8. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

Until the processor is superior, this will never be the case. Period.

9. nixon1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice.

Do you think the Air can run other Adobe CS5 apps well like InDesign?

I think since I value portability over the power (I have my HP laptop if I really need it...although its really heavy), I"ll probably go for one of the Airs.

Also, both the MBAs have a higher screen resolution than the MBP (slightly less vertically though).

I guess I have to decide between 13" and 11" MBA. How I configured them, they are only $10 apart, but the 13" has a faster processor and larger screen.

Are the MBP 13" updates supposed to happen soon? If so I'll probably wait just to see what they come out with.

10. dmelgar macrumors 68000

Given your description, and how you've seen the value of portability, i would suggest the 11" MBA and optionally get a bigger monitor if you want to do some serious photoshop. It can be your one computer rather than two today.

11. abuleban macrumors member

So far so good

Been doing basic work with CS4, and the air works just fine:)

12. Perdification macrumors regular

The key thing is whether you can wait, and how long. If it's not urgent then it'd be best if you can wait for the next update. Buy NOW if you need it urgently, it's simple as that.