Macbook Pro 13' vs Macbook Pro w/Retina Display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JuanG15, Nov 16, 2014.

1. JuanG15 macrumors newbie

So as a of a week and a half ago (11/6), I had sent in my Macbook Pro 13' (Mid Summer 2012) to my local Apple Store
    in spite of getting it fixed for it had various display problems. Such as red interlacing lines all over my screen, freezing when multiple
    tabs and programs where open simultaneously, which later resulted in a complete shutdown on its own.
    Then as I took it in for repair, they ran a diagnostic test, that then resulted in a logic board failure. Immediately I presumed
    that the life of my Macbook Pro was near its end. But sure enough the guys at the genius bar provided me with good news.
    All it needed was the logic board replaced and that was it. So I leaped forward and went with it, and left the computer there for repair.

Five days go by (11/11), and they call me saying it was ready for repair and available for pick up. So as I make my way there,
    they call me back saying that they ran more of an in-depth test with it, and it resulted in the same problem as when I took it in.
    Same red lines, and freezing problem. But they assured me, that now they had found the source of the problem, which was the Display,
    AND the Hard Drive failed too. So they said they had all the parts on hand, and they would fix it at no extra cost, but by this time
    I had taken the initiative and bought myself a new Macbook Pro with Retina Display 13' (Mid Summer 2014, Mid Tier) for school since
    I depend on my machine for all my homework, and study purposes (plus it was at a bargain price, no person would pass up).

Now my dilemma is, today (11/16) after getting my old machine back in working condition, I'm stuck between keeping my 2012 version for
    further use and returning my newer model back, or keeping the newer one and selling my older model at a decent price.
    Knowing that the logic board and the hard drive plus the display failed once, how much longer will this machine last me beyond the 90 day
    warranty of replaced parts on macbook pro's?

Any information and advice is welcomed.

2. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Do you need to sell one to recoup costs? I was in a similar situation around this time last year with a 2009 13" MBP and a late-2013 rMBP mid-range. I ended up keeping both computers because the 09 is too temperamental for me to use as a daily driver or for me to feel comfortable selling to someone who would use it as a daily driver. It's a good secondary desktop replacement.

If you sell the 2012, you will want to warn people that it's had problems before. You can also try selling it for parts. The new logic board alone is worth quite a bit. As a fellow student, I wouldn't sell the 2014. It should be in good working order and have little risk of failure.