MacBook Pro 13 VS MBA 2.1 with Mac Mini

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ginog, Jun 29, 2009.

1. ginog macrumors newbie

:confused:Hi posted this moring but i wanted to refine the question. I am looking to buy a MBA 2.1 or MBP 13 with a MacMini which is a better combo::confused:

1) MBA 2.1 with MacMini or

2) MBP 2.2 13" with MacMini

I already have a HP Tablet 12", HP Mini NetBook 10", 2 Smell's (Dells) 1 for security cameras the other for downloads. I want to get a Mac since i just got the iPhone 3Gs 32. I recently sold my MacBlack ( which i only played with for a month or so) Macs are still a new field to me, but now i am torn between these two options. I Like portability because I am always on the go, not so much into gaming or graphics, Photoshop CS4 at the extreme. I repair PC's for a living .."ditto" but where i live in the Bahamas a lot more people are buying Macs so i need to get with the click.

Thanks in advance.:confused:

2. Ammo macrumors regular

Damn, wish I had that many computers.

I just want a MBP to go with my 1 1/2 year old HP Laptop. :(

3. ColinEC macrumors 6502

I would actually recommend buying a 13" MacBook Pro and a 24" LED Cinema Display (if you can afford it).

You could connect the MBP to the 24" display to give the desktop of a desktop and alternatively use the MBP solo portably.

It would be easier to have a single machine that could do the job of both a desktop and laptop as you would be able to keep all of your work on a single machine (and reduce power usage).

I recommend the MBP over the Air as it is already quite thin and light (very easy to cary around the house), has additional USB and FireWire 800 ports, has a larger trackpad, and improved battery life (and an overall lower price point).

4. ginog thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all the replys so far

not really sure why i would likeboth but i think its because i hardly use my laptops @ home and i do tend to leave them(desktops) on 24/7

@colinec i already have 4 24" Dell monitors and a 32" toshiba lcd its over kill

5. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

I have a Mac mini that I used as my main machine, but now that I have my 13" MBP I really don't use it at all anymore.

6. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

If you need portability, just get the MBP 13in 2.26 and a external display.

If you don't need portability, just get the 2.0GHz Mac Mini and upgrade it to 4GB of RAM and a larger/faster hard drive.

7. mrj412 macrumors regular

I've gone with the Mac Mini and 13" MacBook Pro combo. The Mini was my first Mac, purchased the week Apple released them with nvidia video. Its on all the time and I use it for file sharing, iTunes (podcast downloads) and torrents.

I like the 13" MacBook Pro, perfect size for a second machine. Its still thin and only 1.5lbs heavier than the air (4.5 vs 3), has more ports, a superdrive and is $600 cheaper than the 2.13Ghz air you are considering.

You could spend that $600 and deck out the Mini and the MacBook with ram and hard drive space.