Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FedEx8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2010
Now I will need a help to decide which macbook pro to buy for using Logic studio.

I'm going to buy one of the 13" macbook Pros.
I plan to just by the basic package all together. I would buy an external memory later one. But if i get logic studios will i start to see lag? I don't do any huge projects on it, just recording some normal songs, nothing to big. Any advice on what to get or do with this would be great!
I would prefer not to get the 15" or anything else, if thats possible. I just don't want any lag later down on the road. Thanks ahead!

FedEx8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2010
Thats what you have, do you use logic studio?
Cause i'm talking to people on the Mac site and they're saying i might experience some lag and should go up to 15". But i never know how to take that. hah

aeboi

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2009
Bay Area
Thats what you have, do you use logic studio?
Cause i'm talking to people on the Mac site and they're saying i might experience some lag and should go up to 15". But i never know how to take that. hah
works for me when I rarely use it but it
depends on your tolerance level, the i5/i7 will get things done faster

FedEx8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2010
I just don't wanna have to deal with any bad freezes or getting extremely slow, i would only be recording things one at a time and all through fire wire. So i feel like it will be good, but i don't want it to suck or fail on me later down the road. So thats why i worry. heh.

Sanderr

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2007
Depends on how many channels/devices you want to run at the same time. I use Ableton Live 8 myself for professional producing (Techno / Techhouse genre), 25+ channels and around 100 devices going at the same time. On my macbook I have to freeze some tracks obviously. But the base 13" is more powerful than my machine, and Logic is more CPU efficient, so you'll be fine with it.

FedEx8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2010
whattt. Wow thats insane. Yeah i only have my firewire interface (FP10 FireWire recording interface. PreSonus)
And with that i even only record one guitar or bass at a time. And i only do guitar, bass, vocals, and drums. I don't do any huge songs with tons of things on it. So it's truely a safe bet i won't lag and it won't crash on me one day. haha.Thanks guys for all this so far!
Now i feel a lil bit better about getting it then.

Sanderr

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2007
whattt. Wow thats insane. Yeah i only have my firewire interface (FP10 FireWire recording interface. PreSonus)
And with that i even only record one guitar or bass at a time. And i only do guitar, bass, vocals, and drums. I don't do any huge songs with tons of things on it. So it's truely a safe bet i won't lag and it won't crash on me one day. haha.Thanks guys for all this so far!
Now i feel a lil bit better about getting it then.

Doing what you are describing will run like a dream ;)

FedEx8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2010
Thats something i love to hear! :D
Just out of curiosity. What would be so much that it does start to slow down? Like how many channels being used or things recording at once.

AppleTech22

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
US
I'm no expert on logic, yet I run my Final Cut Studio apps on my 13" MBP very well actually. I am not making a ton of effects and that, but for now it does the job very well. Also I sometimes hook up my old 2006 MBP with qmaster to increase the speed. The 13" is the perfect fit for me only being 14 and I also have a nice and very portable laptop for future school usage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.