MacBook Pro 13 with touch bar and USB SuperDrive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by number9, Jan 8, 2017.

1. number9 macrumors 6502

So I have a 2016 MacBook Pro 13" with touch bar and I just opened the USB SuperDrive I bought to use with it. Plugging it in using an Apple USB A to C adapter, it makes a noise like it activates, but it never mounts on the desktop. I tried all of the USB C ports with no luck. I even tried my parents' USB SuperDrive and had the same results, so it's not a SuperDrive hardware issue. Any one know of a software or adapter issue?

2. pshifrin macrumors 6502

pshifrin

Dumb question, but do you have a disc in the drive? it won't show on the desktop unless there is a disc inserted. Also, go into finder preferences and make sure show removable disks is selected.

3. happyslayer macrumors 6502a

happyslayer

I did have a similar issue with my previous 12" MacBook and my old USB SuperDrive. I know the USB SuperDrive required a higher voltage than most laptops could provide and I think it only worked on Mac laptops. I got around it using a simple $20.00 LG USB-A DVDRW drive I got on Amazon. Lame... but it worked.

4. Tensakun macrumors 6502

Tensakun

Wow. If in fact Apple's own SuperDrive can't be used by its "Pro" machine, that would indeed be lame. I intend to use the new MBP to archive several videos and other data still on DVDs, and if I need to buy a 3rd party drive to do this basic task I won't be a happy camper.

Any of you 13" tbMBP owners have success stories with the SuperDrive?

5. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    As was stated, the SuperDrive does not show up on the desktop until there is actually a CD or DVD loaded into it.

6. conifer macrumors regular

Works fine on my MacBook Pro non touchbar, using Apple adaptor

7. number9 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, didn't even think to try that. Assumed it would show up with out it but that makes sense. First time I've needed to use an external disc drive in a while so it didn't even dawn on me. Thanks!

8. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Mine works fine on my 15" as well with the Apple USB adapter. Haven't tried with a 3rd party adapter. But as stated above, you must have a disc in the drive before anything mounts.