Macbook Pro 13" won't turn on

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by riko13, Sep 8, 2013.

1. riko13 macrumors newbie

I've tried everything .. checked the cable, made sure no connection to hubs or other connections, tried to re-start, reset the SMC. Nothing worked. Does anyone have any further suggestions, please!

It's a MacBook Pro 13" purchased in June 2012.

2. ShaneBunting Suspended

What was the last thing you done to it?

Did this just happen overnight?

3. riko13 thread starter macrumors newbie

I allowed the battery to run down and the computer "died" (I was working on battery power only). I then plugged it in to re-charge the battery and came back to it about 2 hours later. I tried to turn it on in the normal way but the result is as described (the white screen with the apple comes up and then it dies again).

4. ShaneBunting Suspended

How old is the machine?

If it's still in Warranty, get Apple to check it out and you may be able to get it fixed for free.

Sounds like it's failure of the battery, or worse, failure with a logic board component.

See what others say on here too..

5. riko13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Bought June 2012 so it's just out of warranty.

6. ShaneBunting Suspended

I'd recommend taking it to them and asking what's wrong. They'll check it for free and offer you a price to fix it with them, which will create warranty for whatever is replaced. There are consumer rights if you're in the UK from the EU that you can use on them regardless of warranty apparently, so if you're in the UK or EU, it might be worth looking into. Good luck and I hope you get sorted soon!

7. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

It's not clear from your descriptions if this is hardware or software. It launches from off, tries to boot and then goes dark? Is the battery now fully recharged (100% green lights)? If you put it in target disk mode, does it hold/run stable? If you do a pram reset 3 times (keep holding down the keys), do all 3 work in succession?

8. riko13 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am a complete beginner at this. Please can you explain what this means (target disk mode, pram reset, etc)? The battery appears to be charged (eight lights showing - see the photo, attached).

Attached Files:

9. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Parameter ram: hold down the command-option-p-r keys, turn on the power and don't release those four keys until you hear 3 chimes and see 3 reboots. On a functioning machine, you then let go and settings like mouse speed and screen brightness reset to default. On a bad machine, it's a way to see if the hardware is still happy.

TDM: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1661

As above, if it's working, it shows you that hardware may be fine and that the issue is software. If you have a 2nd Mac, it also gives you the ability to test the hard drive, doing things like disk utility scans and file recovery.