MacBook Pro 13inch 2020 Popping Speaker Sound

maalawadhi91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
recently bought the new MBP 13 2020 (10th gen i7 , 32GB ram , 1TB ) and it has been working perfectly fine but it makes a pop sound everytime I play something related to audio or video on Youtube/Apple Music /spotify ...

even when i muted the volume i can hear the popping sound

Yesterday I downloaded the last update 10.15.6 and still the speakers makes popping sound

i have tried to use resting SMC & nvram but none of them ended up fixing the issue

Jochheim

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2020
Do you use the headphone jack or do you mean the speakers itself. The former is known to doing a „popping sound„. If i am not mistaken it is because the headphone jack is turned on and of every time the input changes - which was not the case for older MacBooks. For the speakers itself I do sometimes get some „rattling“ from the right speaker at specific frequencites but I wouldn’t describe it as „popping“.

maalawadhi91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
Do you use the headphone jack or do you mean the speakers itself. The former is known to doing a „popping sound„. If i am not mistaken it is because the headphone jack is turned on and of every time the input changes - which was not the case for older MacBooks. For the speakers itself I do sometimes get some „rattling“ from the right speaker at specific frequencites but I wouldn’t describe it as „popping“.
I mean the speaker its self

I tried this temporary solution :
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ound-of-new-16-inch-mbp.2211902/post-28012328

the popping sound goes away

Last edited:

Broko Fankone

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2020
Knock on wood, it seems mine doesn't have this issue. I'm also using it for audio production. Hope it's not something that can happen after a while. But damn, it's like playing the lottery with macbooks. You never know what kind of problems you will "win" with yours.

Navvier

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2018
I have some popping sound on my MBP 13 2020 10gen (both with headphones and via speakers), but it is so minor, that I didn't guess I had it)

Jochheim

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2020
Hm really strange, as said I don't have this popping sound, but after a few days my "faulty" right speaker really bothers me (rattling at specific frequencies). I also get a "rattling" sound when "playing menu sounds" and it is bugging me. I guess I have to file a repair. Does anyone know if repairing the speakers require a full top case replacement?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.