MacBook Pro 13inch or iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ouimetnick, Nov 22, 2009.

1. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

In about 1 year from today, I will be getting a new computer to replace my Gateway MX6426. I will be in high school next year, and have a job. I was wondering should I get the $1499 13inch MBP or the base iMac at $1199? I really like portability, but also power. I will be using it for web browsing, email, macrumors, and media. I might also try iphone development. Heres the thing though. It must last for 4 years. The iMac is not only cheaper, but way more powerful with a 3GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo, and ability to go up to 16GB or ram. But I bet sometime I will wish I got the macbook pro because of portability. It might be a good idea, because I can bring it to school. Even if the base 13inch MBP will do me fine, It will need to last for 4 years and not get outdated quick.
    So should I get the $1499 13 inch MacBook Pro or an base $1199 iMac? I do realize that when I but in 1 year, the products will be updated, and most likely have faster CPUs etc. If you were in my shoes, what would you buy?
    I will either have to pay $199 and rent a MacBook White for the year, or buy my own computer for high school. I don't think it is required, but it makes life easier.

Thanks for your help. I will most likely post the same thing when the time comes, but what would you guys recommend now?
    Thanks,
    ouimetnick

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Like you say in your post specs get updated. I would wait until nearer the time! Also at High School the benefits of a portable laptop are great! With an iMac you are stuck at your desk at home.

3. ouimetnick thread starter macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

But... I won't have to worry about it getting stolen, dropping it or breaking it. I'm still not sure. Both have benefits.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

So you want an iMac?

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

6. ouimetnick thread starter macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

I want both... but that won't happen. I love the iMac because it has a big screen, really fast Intel cpu, and is more powerful and future proof. I don't like that it isn't portable, or compact.
    I love the $1499 13inch MacBook Pro because it has a fast intel cpu, small, compact, powerful, and light weight. I don't like the high price tag, and the cpu could be more powerfull for the price. The only reason I like the iMac, I love the fact that it has a faster CPU, and is more future proof... thats it. The MBP has a fast CPU though, but faster is better, and the iMac has it, and is cheaper, but not portable. And I think portability may be very important. Hopefuly in 1 year the MacBook Pro will have a 2.66 GHZ or higher core 2 duo in it for the same price. Both computers are really great machines though.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Just wait until it gets closer to when you're actually going to buy it. Anything we say now won't apply in 10 months.