Macbook pro 13''vs BMW 3 Series

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by crazymac2010, Apr 22, 2010.

1. crazymac2010 macrumors newbie

Hi:
    I am planning buying a new macbook pro.And i think both 13'' and 15'' are very nice ones. One is for outstanding portability and the other is the great "i5" CPU and larger screen. So it is very difficult for me to make the decision. Then one day i watched some BMW ads and it helps me make the final decison. "GO for the 13''macbook pro".
    I think it quite make sense that:

13'' macbook pro=BMW 3
    15" macbook pro=BMW 5
    17"macbook pro=BMW 7;)

ps:eek:f course you can customize your macbook pro and make them X, M ,6 OR whatever.

SO personally i am very crazy about the BMW 3 series , it is not as powerfully as 5 and 7 series. But it is extremelly
    FANTASTIC. It looks very really nice and cute and "very easy to parking" btw.

If you want more powerfully and luxury car, absolutly choose the 5 or 7 series. :D

SO this is my crazy ideas about how to choosinng a macbook pro.
    Hopefully it can be helpful and please leave some thoughts and comments.

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I hope BMW isn't paying you good money for this advertising...

3. crazymac2010 thread starter macrumors newbie

It is about buying a macbook pro thought........:D

4. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

5. crazymac2010 thread starter macrumors newbie

Mac pro = BMW X5 .........

6. SECSevents macrumors newbie

not even close

Personally owning a 3 series and having had a macbook 1,1, and a MBP 17inch 3,1 and a brand new MBP 15inch i7, I wouldnt label a 13mbp as a 3 series equivalent. I have driven the current BMW 335i, previous gen M3 and current 7 series. Remeber that BMW is the ulitmate driving machine and a 13 inch does not fall into the ultimate laptop failing short in several catagories such as processor, graphics and blu ray capabilities. BMW's, no matter what series have tremendous handling, suspension, and potential to be on a track any given day in comparison to weaker manufacturers.

I would label the MBP 13inch Prius or honda fit
    MBP 15 or 17 Civic or Civic si
    MAC PRO would resemble a BMW.
    Although some people associate Apple and BMW owners to have a certain "status" not everyone can afford a Mac Pro or a BMW ;)

7. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

The Mac Pro is an M5. iMac would come close being a M3.

8. Fuchal macrumors 68020

9. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

10. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

Then according to this, iPod's are floormats.

11. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

What in the Apple line-up is:
    [​IMG]

BMW did make one nice case:
    [​IMG]

12. thleeal macrumors regular

i disagree with you on the latter point brother.
    if you look at the needs of people buying the 13 inch/3 series variant their primary concern is not horsepower or processor speed but driving economy, easy parking and portability in this case. as for my needs (browsing, storing photos and very rarely editing home movies in imovie) the 13 inch's graphics and processor speed are sufficient (could be faster but that will always be the case). as for bluray. i have a 37 inch television and a playstation 3. why on earth would i want to watch hd movies on a 13" screen (is the screen even HD). the other argument for bluray on a PC is for the ability to burn HD home movies. without mentioning the actual need for this, i cant see myself ever burning 50gb (?) of data, the price of discs is still way too high ( an indicator one can use is when illegal bluerays come down in price the technology is becoming value for money and thus usable for the majority of people which is when it will become a real standard.)

its still early so ill leave it there.

T

13. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Yes. HD is defined as 720 progressive lines vertically (from top to bottom) or 1080 interlaced lines vertically (from top to bottom)

the marketing term Full HD is 1080 progressive lines or 1920x1080p

so 1280x800 does fall into the category of HD

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

what a silly thread

havent we learned that car analogies suck?

15. trip1ex macrumors 68000

16. cottington macrumors member

I'll say. Very childish. And it's quite a stretch creating a link between MBPs and BMWs because they both appear to employ the "good, better, best" product classes that can be found practically everywhere, and that have surely been around since the dawn of commerce.

17. Kingcodez macrumors 6502

Kingcodez

I can definately see the link between a M3 (or 3 series) and 13".
    M3's are fast too, just not as much as the bigger brothers, but you can't just shrug them off. BMW is like the Apple of the car world anyways.

I'd buy a 3 series for the same reasons I'd by a 13", battery/MPG, power/cost, style, the big name, knowing it's going to last me more than 2 years, knowing that it'll keep it's resale value compared to plastic junk heaps.

Hey, would I be ok with a 95+ish 3 series? I need a new car and there are a few under 5k here, it's either Diesel Jetta, BMW 3, or a 200+ Eclipse.
    (I'm going to give the car to the girl after a couple of months.)
    How's the part cost compared to the jettas that litter the country side? I just don't know how far a BMW was designed to go for.

18. mac8867 macrumors 6502

Very cool thread. I have bot ha 13" MBP and a 3 series. I never correlated the two, but yes indeed, they fit my personality and tastes perfectly.

Both are compact and vastly powerful for that form factor. Not the most powerful, but strong enough to get the work done in comfort -- and stylish enough to be noticed when done.

19. crazymac2010 thread starter macrumors newbie

YES,EXACTLY. ME TOO!

20. animex3 macrumors newbie

haha i like what you have done with this thread =D

I guess the simplest question you can ask is, what do you want to do?

Since you like 3 series a lot with number of reason and one being able to park very easily anywhere, id say take out 7 series. No reason to go there unless you need big screen or doing professional work like final cut and stuff (driving with suit on, files to be presented next morning :p)

Between 3 series and 5 series, I think the only difference you will notice is the graphic card. Sure the engine i5 is better and fast but, if you are gonna drive around the locals doing few internet, writing out documents, small photo editing and all, it wont make huge difference.

Ask yourself this, "Am I going to play 3D games that requires good graphics, or am I going to be doing some hardcore photo/video editing work"

If its Yes, go for 5 series, if no, 3 series will do fine

21. nOw2 macrumors regular

Are you trying to say MacBooks are used by w*nkers?

I certainly don't tailgate when driving my Macbook Pro.