Macbook Pro 14 days

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by seong, Mar 23, 2010.

1. seong macrumors 65816

seong

I bought my Macbook on March 20, 2010. If Apple does update before April 3, 2010, do I get to bring my Macbook Pro and get the new one?
    Help or advice?:confused:

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If the box is still unopened, it will work and you either pay the difference or get paid the difference.

If the Mac is used you have to pay the restocking fee.

3. seong thread starter macrumors 65816

seong

Do I pay for the new mbp or my old mnp?
    Thx for the reply btw

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

You've already paid for it.

If you haven't opened it and exchange it for the mythical new MacBook Pro you will get a refund of the difference if the new model is cheaper or pay the extra if it is more expensive.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Like any exchange, you return the existing unit and then purchase the new one. As others stated, if you already unboxed your current MBP you are on the hook for the restocking fee.

6. seong thread starter macrumors 65816

seong

Argh, damn it.
    I opened it.
    So, I have to pay 10% if it refreshes before April 3rd.
    Damn it.
    Thx for help guys!

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sorry to sound a little off but why did you buy it, if you plan on buying an arrandale based MBP.

I hope you realize that people have been expecting a refresh since november and its now the end of March. Yeah apple will eventually update the MBP line but when is the question.

You purchased the MBP for a perceived need that the MBP fills. Even when apple updates the MBP, your current MBP doesn't suddenly become slower is unable to do what you wanted it to do.

Be content with your purchase, the current crop of MBPs are more then up to the task that most people throw at it. I have an 08 MBP and it handles all of my tasks very well (vmware/aperture/photoshop/web publishing/etc)

If on the other hand you think you made a mistake then return it now, don't wait for April, just return it, and wait for apple

8. antmo macrumors member

Or you can keep it and get a refund of the difference between what you paid and what they sell it for post refresh.

Sometimes, when there's a spec bump, the current models just sort of move down a slot in price. If the model you bought isn't offered anymore, they'll use the end-of-life price they're selling it for.

Apple typically sells their old models which are still new in box to business customers for a decent discount. They don't advertise end-of-life models or necessarily make them available unless you specifically ask for one (or I suppose they also put them in the refurb store too).

Either way, if a new one comes out before 14 days is up, you'll probably be able to get at least a few hundred dollars credited back to your card (or a check in the mail if you paid cash).

9. silvrbullet macrumors regular

It all depends what you want to do. Last refresh Apple offered me a refund with no restocking fee, or a $450 credit. I took the credit!!

10. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

I upgraded my MacBook Pro on day 13 and just paid the difference , no restock. Just talk to the manager, they will most likely waive it if you , if you just want to upgrade.

11. hajime macrumors 68030

It seems that the current crop of MBPs have no defective component issue (please correct me if I am wrong). The upcoming ones may or may not have problems such as defective GPU in the SR MBP 2007 models.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Correct, in general the current version of MBPs are very solid and stable. The next generation is anyone's guess, though being a revision "A" machine will certainly increase the risks

13. seong thread starter macrumors 65816

seong

sorry for late response

I had to buy one because:
    1. Keynote presentation (some of the transition and actions wouldn't work on GMA 950)
    2. The graphic card couldn't support following applications: Photoshop CS4, Pixelmator, Maya 2010, and Keynote
    3. Amount of RAM limits me: 1GB for White Macbook
    4. My Macbook was really getting old: startup time, daily work, etc all gets slower.

Interestingly, I ran CoconutBattery, and found out that I had total of one load cycle (I had it plugged in since the day I bought it), and told me it's 4 month old. WTF? Is this the 'used' one?

14. GregGebhardt macrumors 6502

I just traded my 2.8Ghz MBPro 15 that I purchased last Saturday for a new i7. No restocking fee but I understand that that is up to the manager and mine was open and used. Reguardless if it is within 14 days and they will trade it with no problem. You are surposed to pay restocking if it was opened. They even gave me a new Apple Care plan to replace the old.